MIL-STD-1461 and predecessors

MIL-STD-1461 (AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS AND THIER SYMBOLS) lists all the codes used on ammunition procured by the US military. The earliest copy I have is MIL-STD-1461E dated 1990. It has been superseded by MIL-HDBK-1461A with the same title dated 1999.

MIL-STD-1461D is dated 1980, but I can’t find a copy online. Apparently there was an earlier version dated 1975. Prior to the MilStd the data was apparently included in APSAP 746-1 which was last dated 1973. I am sure there were earlier versions of this list going back to the first assignment of codes to ammunition manufacturers.

These are important documents since the codes change over time with the same codes apparently being reassigned over time to different manfacturers.

I have both the 1990 and 1998 versions posted on my website for download. I would like to add as many versions of this listing as possible to provide a more comprehensive research source to collectors.

Does anyone have an electronic copy of earlier versions of MIL-STD-1461 or any of the earlier documents that you are willing to share???

Cheers,

Lew

Do you have the 1999 version? It superseded the 1998 version.

If not you can download it here: nvbmb.nl/downloads/mil-hdbk-1461a.pdf

The link will open a pdf-file you can save on your computer.

Not really what you want yet (the older versions …), but maybe another stepstone.

The link above includes a definition of “Ammunition” which pretty much agrees with the sort of items that are considered appropriate for the IAA forum:

“Ammunition. A generic term which includes all manner of missiles to
be thrown against an enemy, such as bullets, projectiles, rockets, cartridges,
grenades, torpedoes, bombs, and guided missiles with their necessary
propellants, primers, fuzes, detonators and charges of conventional explosive,
nuclear explosive, chemical or other materials. In the “broadest sense” the term
is not limited to those materials to be thrown, nor to use against an enemy, but
will include all explosive devices, pyrotechnics, and pyrotechnic devices. The
purpose is not limited and includes in addition to direct use against an enemy,
such as illumination, signaling, saluting, mining, digging, cutting, accelerating,
decelerating, demolition, decoying, practice, training, guarding, game hunting or
just pure sport.”