Military MATCH .22 Hornet?

Anyone know why there would be boxes of Military MATCH .22 Hornet??

1 Like

What makes it “military”?

U.S. Military because it’s “LOT WCC-6000” as marked.

1 Like

So is it a military shooting competition ammo? It says “match” and “soft point”.

According to the book “History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol.III”, by HWS, 451, Lot WCC-6000 was part of an order from the Advanced Marksmanship Unit in the 1960s for international competition.

1 Like

The US Army AMU had Winchester Model 70 rifles in this caliber.

Can you show a picture of the code stamped on the inside of one of the side flaps?

1 Like

If I remember corrcetly, shooting at a running target (for example at the Munich Olympics 1972) was done using rifles in .22 Hornet.

2 Likes

Jochem, you are right, and was notably used during the 37th World Championships held in Moscow in 1958, where Joe A. Deckert won the 100 m Running Deer competition.

2 Likes

Interesting. I got a light bulleted Australian .303 from Bill Woodin, that they were using in the same Moscow Running Deer competition.
Dan

1 Like

May we see it?

Here it is Vlad,
Australian nhs
The description was:
“Special “running deer” match, 37th World Shooting
Championships, Moscow 1958, short ptd GM, 5 small splits base
of neck (needs to be pulled), no headstamp (Australian) $?” (from e-mail)
Came with his note:

Dan

2 Likes

Thanks. I assume there is no more “running deer” competition, at least in .303 Brit? I know literally nothing about Olympic shooting sports. I once knew a girl in Moscow who was on an Olympic air rifle team (many many many years ago).

DocBlack, what headstamp is on the cartridges in your box?
Thanks, Dan

This brings back some awesome memories…
I knew James Davis, he owned Davis Gun store in Falls Church, less than a mile from my house!
Every day when I got out of school I walked to his store, spent hours there, and he taught me quite a lot about firearms.

The Australians also developed a straight-pull Garand ( no gas) in a semi-rimless .303 case, with light bullet.
At the 1956 Games, the Soviets had a 6,35×54R on a WWI Ross MkIII action…one of which did not
Return to Moscow!!!.
Doc AV

1 Like

Doc AV is incorrect. The 4 Australians at the 1958 World Games all used normal rimmed .303 cartridge cases made by MF. The load was a special light 100 grain projectile with composite half aluminium and half lead core developed by Ron Holmes (Riverbrand) loaded by Bob Donaldson with 4227 powder at 3500fps. They were not semi-rimmed cases.

Autos were not allowed and Jack Dougherty used a special Garand straight-pull action that gunsmith Jack Miller worked on. The gas system was disconnected and he added a handle to the breech-block.
It had a large red plastic ball knob. Being a straight-pull you just slapped it back and it returned and chambered a fresh cartridge. You had two shots each way at the moving deer target.

I think Bob Donaldson came second and he was a past ACCA member from Victoria.
My friend handled both the garand rifle and ammunition and related this info to me. Ron.

3 Likes

I would LOVE to see that modified Garand!