Hi !
here is a box of Remington shotshells.

military or civilian ?
scarce or not ?
value please
thanks
jp

Jean-Pierre,

The boxes and lotnumber style looks like US military.

Regards, Rob

[quote=“Rob de Heer”]Jean-Pierre,

The boxes and lotnumber style looks like US military.

Regards, Rob[/quote]
it is what I tought
funny the way they writte gauge !!?
is it scarce?

These are definitely Military Issue. I would guess with #8 shot that they were for skeet shooting. Almost every U.S. Military base where there is enough room has a skeet range.

WHY GAGE AND NOT GAUGE ?
Error ??!!
jp

This is just another one of those inconsistencies in English; the English-English normally spell it “gauge”, but the American-English is sometimes spelled “gage” (but “gauge” is probably more common). You see the same thing with “colour” (American spelling is usually “color”) and a few other common words.

To compound the problem of the “two Englishes” the U.S. Military sometimes doesn’t use the same spelling of words used regularly in American civilian life, or other things as well. For instance, in the Army, what we call in civilian life an “enclosure” as in “an enclosre with a letter” is spelled beginning with an “i.” When I was in the Army, it was spelled “inclosure.” Also, before it became common at all in the U.S. (it still isn’t used much outside of certain professions), the U.S. Military used the 24-hour clock for telling time (2300 Hrs., insted of 11:00 P.M.) and used the date in the European fashion, not the American fashion, with day, month year instead of month, day and year. I found military time to be awkward, but admittedly, I aqm old-fashioned. Of course, the European method of saying the date makes much more sense, sequentially, than does the American usage.

By the way, “Gage” is also a correct spelling when applying to certain meanings. So says Webster.

Ron,

I think typically the skeet range on a base/installation would not be using “military” ammunition, since they are Non-appropriated Fund activities. At the skeet range, you would predominantly and most likely encounter “commerically packaged” rounds, procured by the club or by the individuals using the range.

IF in the years before my experience, the same–safe–location was used for MILITARY training, ie. aerial gunners, etc. Then perhaps military procured and packaged rounds would be encountered. But I think this kind of training occurred at a relatively few specific bases.

Just my thoughts.

I forgot the hstp : N

JP–Not sure what you want to know about this headstamp. The Remington Shurshot brand name was used from the mid-1930’s to around 1990 or later. It was Remingtons “Low-Brass” cheap load.

thank you
jp

Just to add some fuel to the gauge/gage fire. In the U.S. gage is used in the machine industry. To measure something with a micrometer or fixed measuring tool you “gage” something. Went out to my reloading bench and looked at the instruction book on L.E. Wilson loading tools. They call a case length measuring tool a gage. The Wilson catalog states TOOLS GAGES For uniform Handloads and they call headspace measuring tools Gages. Sooo guess in the U.S. when using our calipers to measure cartridges we must say we are gaging :-) :-) But they still use gauge more commonly for the size of a shotshell.

Gourd

These are definitely US Military shotgun shells. The No.8 shot shells were used in training aerial gunners. The US military acquired regualr style long barreled shotguns and used them in initial training of aerial gunners to teach the basics of lead shooting. This was done like shooting skeet, although they also had a rig where they stood on the back of a moving truck and shot skeet to teach them about applying lead from a moving object like they would be in when in actual aircraft.

These boxes aren’t super common in my experience, but they are far more common than the brass cased 00 Buck combat loads. Bruce Canfield has a book on US Combat Shotguns which is excellent, and covers all the combat shotguns, and discusses the “training” shotguns as well, and has a good section on ammunition including how it was packed and labled…

Here is a box of brass cased military 12 gage ammo that is contemporary to the above post. Unfortunately the box had been damaged and the

[quote=“pbutler”]Here is a box of brass cased military 12 gage ammo that is contemporary to the above post. Unfortunately the box had been damaged and the

I have about 10 fired cases of these with that style of primer, headstamp and annulus. What are the chances that they were the military issue round. I originally concluded that they were commercial shotshells from around the 1920s.

Falcon–Remington never made LOADED brass shot shells except for the military loads. They did sell New Primed Empties until at least 1923, perhaps a couple year later. They no longer list brass NPE in the 1929 catalog. To tell if yours are ex-military or handloads, check the primer. As far as I know all the military brass shells had a primer seal on the PA. The NPE for handloading did not have a PA seal.

Mine do have a primer seal, opaque bright red a-la Prvi Partizan, like the one in the photo. So they are military loads.

Shame I turned down the rims, turned off the headstamps, sealed up the primer pockets and drilled the cases near the rim and inserted a rod to make two 12 Gauge pinfire dummies from the 2 dirtiest/dented of the lot, thinking they were only some sort of old shotshell empties.