Mines are ammunition

Those interested in the subject will do themselves a favor by seeing a copy of the Australian movie " Beneath Hill 60" . This was the largest man made explosion prior to the Atomic bomb.

For those with a taste for the more modern plantable mines here are some current Chinese.

Their bouncing mine is an update of the German S mine.
TYPE 72 JUMPING MINE - MATRIX TYPE

TRAINER VERSION TYPE 69 JUMPING MINE

There were two hill 60s in WW1 Hill 60 in Galipoli and Hill 60 outside Ypres. From the mines reference I assume you mean Ypres

Part of the Messines Ridge offensive, when the mines blew my Grandfather was right in front of it as part of 19th Div. I have walked the ground with my (late) father. Part of General Plummer’s contribution was that the casualties were so low but he never received the accolades that were rightfully his. Yes when they went up they were heard in London but few today have heard of it.

If this film brings it to the fore then good.

That’s it. Amazing story which has been previously untold in detail. Attack tunnels are virtually unknown by most students of war. There was a big one in the U.S. , “Lincoln’s” war prior to the “Battle of the Crater”. The story of the German counter tunnel efforts is even less known. The British , Canadians and finally Australians worked on this attack.

I’ve often seen a brief clip in a number of WWI documentaries of what looks like a huge ground-heaving explosion, much larger than anything possible from an artillery shell. Would that have been Hill 60 at Ypres? I assume an explosion of that magnitude would have merited film coverage at the time.

This same clip is used in the film. I have never seen identification of that piece of film. I have heard and read that the explosion created such a cloud of dust and debris that the attacking Allied troops could not see where they were going. The mines were detonated at 3:10 a.m. I doubt that anyone got a good film of that. It would have produced a tremendous light and it would seem that they would have tried to film it but that requires more research.

The piece of film you are referring to I think is this one
youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2lrksp318

lochnagarcrater.org/
While you are at it look at this about three miles to the east, blown at the same time in the same day

Thank you. Very interesting. That is a serious hole.

Its actually a lovely place and you can see from the film very peaceful. For us here its about an hour from London to the ferry then a couple of hours the other side.
Its very hard to get much of a feel of what went on there except for the names and the debris of war still littering the ground. Bizzare is not too strong a word. Unreal is certainly another. Its a place I have visited many times with my father. Since he died I have not been back but hopefully my sons will one day want to go.
I have known, and indeed still know, people who go back time after time, It certainly draws you.
I have visited Battle fields all over the world, from Crete to North Africa, Gettysberg and the little Big Horn, Normandy and The Ardennes, Dunkirk Verdun and the Ardonne etc In Britain everywhere from 1066 to Colluden in Scotland. But nowhere gets to you like this place does. Walking the fields, stepping over shells and rusty bits of metal, even bones on occasions, its a time capsule frozen in time. The French returned after the war and have just left it the way it was. they plow the fields but if its not in their way they just leave it lying there. Saying that Hill 60 was in Belgium and the ground was more grazing than arable and a lot of it has been reinstated but you still have Sactuary Wood and the preserved trenches and the museum.

At Beumont Hamel and the Newfoundland Memorial you can still see the ground pockmarked from the shelling. Even today.

That is an amazing adventure to relate. How about some pictures before the forum police decide that it is not ammo related?

I notice the DVD of Beneath Hill 60 is available on eBay for under $15.00 US, with trailers on YouTube.

Try this

youtube.com/watch?v=aJIRz4X- … re=related

I don’t know if you will get any sound with it but you see the ground and the remains of the old trenches

and just to keep it ammo related the best time to go walking the fields for ammo finds is March/April after the ploughing but before the new growth, often wheat, covers the ground.
In my days of going over there the collectors were just field walkers picking up whatever they found, turned up by the ploughing. Now there are serious teams of “diggers” doing it in a much more professional way as archeologists would. TonyE is a digger, He’s involved with a group that explores the tunnels. Too claustrophobic for me. Battlefield digging is serious stuff these days and the collectors are very professional about it. If I had the time I would love to get into it but there is just no way it would be possible. Of course they also have their share of looters who dig holes to see what sellable items they can find and make off with.

Does anyone see a Japanese land mine in this photo ?

Interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=VxG12ZYm … re=related

Interesting.Thank you.