Mines are ammunition

Who knew that the ARMY had a mine layer ship ?

I did not know, they got bored?

What year are these images from?

The Army has quite a formidable Navy: eustis.army.mil/ocot/Documen … _Units.htm

My Uncle’s step-daughter’s husband was in the Army’s Navy. A littoral force, mostly, but very effective for providing logistical support.

Rick, thanks, still an odd appearance to me.

[quote=“EOD”]I did not know, they got bored?

What year are these images from?[/quote]

Thanks, I always thought this is a navy job as it is over here in Europe.

News to me too.

Q. - How many Army guys does it take to hoist a mine??

A. - Ten. One to do the hoisting and nine to watch.

Sailing close to the edge !

Q. - How many Army guys work on a Mine-Planter?

A. - About 10% of them.

bada-boom!

You guys insist on making light of my attempts to educate you.

1940-45 RAF called mining European waters “Gardening” and the mined areas had plant names. How appropiate… :-)
Soren

[quote=“mausernut”]1940-45 RAF called mining European waters “Gardening” and the mined areas had plant names. How appropiate… :-)
Soren[/quote]

Harvesting afterwards was quite a task.

…and took decades.

Still not complete ! As you know they wash up on beaches from time to time even now.

Yes, but you certainly agree that here it is no mine sweeping anymore.

From time to time we get washed ashore all kind of stuff that went into the sea somewhen, mines, torpedos, bombs and everything else one can imagine.

Germany did active sea mine clearance well into the 1970’s (Baltic Sea and North Sea).
They started in 1945 right after the war as English named “GMSA” German Mine sweeping Administration (under allied control), they kept their vessels, uniforms and even weapons to fire at mines that came loose during clearance operations.

Any photos of that handy ?

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutscher_ … A4umdienst

janmaat.de/m_gesch0.htm

deutsches-marinearchiv.de/Ar … xhaven.htm

In my EOD-patch collection I also have one of their patches - unfortunately it looks not very spectacular.

In june this year a fisherman and his crew left an old british mine on the quay at Skagen harbour. It took a couple of hours before someone noticed it for what it was and the Navy EOD people came and got it away. The fishermen had had it in the hold of their boat for about 24 hours before they dumped it on the quayside. They claimed they did not know it was a mine, which is considered a deadly (sometimes literally) sin to bring in from the sea.
ekstrabladet.dk/112/article1364745.ece
Soren