Minor Mystery. A .25 Remington Wildcat

I was looking through some .25 Remington cartridges I picked up this winter at a local gun show and thought one looked strange. After comparing the cartridge in question with another from the packet I purchased, I noticed the first cartridge seemed to be much shorter than the other .25 Remingtons, while still being headstamped “Western” and “.25 Rem”. I googled it and saw that back in the 1930s and 40s there was a shortened and necked down “.22 Kilbourn Magnum Junior” and a “.22 Chucker Rimless” fashioned from the .25 Remington. Here is a picture of this mystery Wildcat next to a full sized “Peters” brand .25 Remington. Can anyone tell me what kind of .25 Remington Wildcat cartridge I have here? Is it .22 Kilbourn Magnum Junior or .22 Chucker or maybe something else?

You need to post some dimensions. The 22 Lindahl Chucker Rimless case was 1.60" long. The 22 K. Magnum Junior case was 1.70" long.

Base to shoulder dimensions are also important. There were a lot of wildcat .22 varmint cartridges of that era. many of them were nearly identical. Several different parent cases were used.

Ray

I did some interpolating.

Your case is too long for either the Chucker or K Junior. And, the shoulder angle is wrong.

I’d say it’s a 22 Rimless Niedner Magnum.

Ray

Best I can figure, body length of the cartridge is 1 and 15/16ths of an inch and base to shoulder is 1 and 7/16ths inch. That converts to about 1.93 and 1.43.

Lacking any other dimensions, I’d say yep, you got yourself a .22 Rimless Neidner Magnum.

Ray

Ray - is it “Neidner” or “Niedner?” A serious question, not a criticism of your spelling. I interpose letters all the time and only catch about 80% of them before posting.

John

You’re right. It’s Niedner. That’s what happens when I type with two fingers.:-)

Ray

Thank you. It sure looks like .22 Niedner Rimless Magnum. Do you have any picture or information on 6mm Niedner Rimless Magnum?

Never heard of it. During Niedner’s time, cartridges with metric designations were few and far between (in the U.S.). So, maybe it’s a recent wildcat?

Ray

Cool magazine. Good article from 1990 on the 6mm Niedner Magnum by the late Michael Petrov.
riflemagazine.com/magazine/ … artial.pdf

Looks like the 6mm Niedner Magnum may have been a one-of-a-kind. That would explain the lack of information.

There are two schools of thought on one-of-a-kinds. 1) They have little value, and 2) They are priceless.

Ray

Well…they’re obviously priceless. Which is borne out specifically by the fact that I do not have one. The only guy in the world who would know anything about them (or really care) is dead.

That doesn’t work for me.

If I don’t have one, it is priceless. If I do have one, it is worth less than a stick. ;-)