Mixed rifle sections, from left to right:
8x59 SMI/941 AP for Breda
8x59 SMI/960 Tracer for Breda
30.06 Winchester Fail Safe Talon
7.5x54 French Tracer 58A SF/2-69/1/7.5
7.5x54 French Tracer 59A SF/76/1/7.5
wolfganggross

wolfganggross:

THE WINCHESTER IS NOT MISSING THE BALLISTIC TIP - IT DIDN’T HAVE ONE TO BEGIN WITH. THIS IS REALLY AN INTERESTING BULLET SECTIONED - IT DOESN’T SHOW UP WELL IN YOUR PHOTO BUT THE LEAD? CORE ON THESE HAS 2 DIFFERENT METAL (LEAD?) ALLOYS. AS ALWAYS, A NICE GROUP OF INTERESTING CARTRIDGES.

Finally got the camera, now just need to invest in lighting. Money, money, money.
That one was very interesting to cut with 4 different metals. A solid copper hollow point upper half with a lead core in a steel cup lower half, with a brass enclosed bottom. There was a lot of planning that went into this bullet.
So, it is a PD3? Can only find digital images of this round and the ammo factories (Winchester in this case) always ignore my emails.
Thanks for the kind comments from everyone, always. Please feel free to copy and repost any of my photos, just make it in a positive ammo/gun manner. kevin (wolfganggross)

Wasn’t this Win. cartridge loaded with the Nosler Combined Technology bullets?
I think there was a Ballistic Silver tip bullet also.

Kevin, the bullet loaded in the .30-06 cartridge is a Winchester Fail Safe Talon (FST), later renamed Fail Safe (FS). Regards, Fede.

From Winchester’s 1995 catalog:

The two SMI rounds are 8 x 59 Breda samples, not 7.92 x 57

It’s been nearly 100 years since the first patented multi-piece hunting bullets were introduced. It looks like they still have not given up on finding the perfect bullet although there’s not much that hasn’t been tried once, or three times, before.

Ray

Edited for corrections, thank you