Misleading auctions

I hate it when I see these, especially when there are unwitting bidders and the seller ignores my repeated emails. This guy has multiple lots of lead-core Egyptian 9mm that he is listing as steel core AP, and also has single boxes of Egyptian boxes that he is passing off as Israeli steel core of all things. The worst lot of his has to be the 780 rds of “Israeli” .308 which is actually all Syrian 7.5x54 as far as I can tell. What do you guys think?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=233570036

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=233616374

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=233663943

The “Israeli .308” is actually 7.62x51, but Syrian as you point out.
If you look at enough Auctionarms and Gunbroker ammo auctions/sales, you see lots of amazing and fraudulent claims. Many sellers, known and unknown, simply make up descriptions, either out of ignorance, or worse to steal from unsuspecting shooters and collectors. If you see the same things up for sale for a long period of time, they are usually either exceedingly over-priced or fakes that knowledgeable collectors are avoiding. I would be happy to comment on any individual items on e-mail or PM.

Matt, I believe you can leave negative feedback for the seller without having to purchase the item in question. Have you tried that? If you try it and it works then those of us who are signed up on Gunbroker can start plastering negative feedback regarding the items he’s trying to sell fraudulently.

I could do that in the open forum on Gunbroker (I think), or I could email support, but I can’t affect his visible feedback without a transaction. I was going to wait and see if he got back to me anyway with a couple days remaining. I know there are plenty of auctions like this, it’s just the pistol “AP” type listings that I notice the most. Those, and the guy (Deuce45’s) selling all the bogus “raufoss” .30 cal stuff and other API stuff which is all resized Russian projectiles.

I am both a buyer and seller on AA and GB, plus a couple of other auction sites. Back when I was new to the Internet, Forums, etc I would get upset over misleading ads and dash off an email to the seller admonishing him at worst, or offering to help ID an item at best. I received all sorts of replies, ranging from “thank you” to “f*&k off!”). My aggravation started to get the best of me and I would peruse the listings deliberately looking for things to criticise, rather than buying or selling. I eventually accepted the fact that I am neither my brother’s keeper nor protector and it’s really none of my business. Those last 4 words sum it up.

JMHO

Ray

I have been through the same experience as Ray; however, I take away a different lesson. A seller on GB was selling Nazi paratrooper ammunition. As it turned out the ammunition was FA and Remington 45 ACP. I wrote him and explained the mis-identification. I was rudely advised that I was not ex-military and not a gunsmith and “I was who?” and advised to go promptly to Hell. He obviously knew his auction was false advertisement.

Getting no where with the seller, I then wrote an email to the GB administrators and advised them they were allowing false advertising on their auctions and they made the seller re-list and properly identify the ammunition. Both GB and Auction Arms are rife with what I believe are mostly ignorant descriptions or over-exaggerated listings.

If we don’t correct the obvious misinformation and deceit, what does that say about our hobby and passion?

I am not trying to stand on top of a soap box or make any judgements here - to each his own, but if we as collectors don’t say anything - who will? I have been ripped off before and only wish some one wiser would have issued a warning or done something to correct an obvious auction description.

My opinion only.

Heavyiron

Funny how he can advertise ammunition as “Israeli” while all the boxes are covered in Arabic letters, not Hebrew.

J

I used to try and let sellers know they were making mistakes. Some times I would get a thanks and they would change it, others times I would be snubbed. These days I see it so often that I have given up on it. I could literally spend an hour a day emailing sellers about their incorrect auction descriptions. One of my favorites, although generally harmless is the proclaimation of extreme rarity (as I look at the pile of it I wish someone would buy from me!) I’ve pretty much given up on it. For me, I have enough of my own battles to fight. Gun Broker does come right out on their search results page and state the “caveat emptor” rule. This is probably because of all the notes they got from guys like us.

Well, he actually changed the description on 2 of the 3 auctions! Two no longer ID the ammo as Israeli.

The box labels in the third auction mentions 7,62 mm, not 7,5.

Hans

He did get back to me and confirm that it is 7.62x51 and not 7.5. The Israeli bit is changed at least.