Misrepresented 7’9 Battle Packs

Well gentlemen, I had my cherry popped today. I bought a German WW2 7’9 battle pack for a price that was too good to be true but what was inside, well, not a single box matched the battle pack label. Thanks to a fellow IAA member who has kind of taken me under his wing, advised me to check everything, instructed me how to carefully open the box without compromising the overall integrity of it… thanks Joe, you know who you are.

The seller agreed to deal with me to make things right so I hope it will restore my faith in humanity. He did say before he shipped it that he was selling for someone else, true or not, if he makes it right then I’m ok. See pictures… of all 300 I only had to toss 6 or 7 for corrosion beyond acceptance.
image image image image

I don’t think you can label that battle-pack as a fake. The construction and label look right to me. I have had several of those in 7.9 when I collected that, and still have four in 9 mm Para caliber. It could be that it was misrepresented to have all the ammunition original to that pack and label, whereas the cartridge carrier itself seems to be absolute original with the original label on it.

I think the title of the thread is somewhat misleading.

John

Yes John you are technically correct. I will pay more attention next time.

What you call battlepack is called a Packhülse in German. It is designed for reuse and therefore can easily be refilled.
Of course, it should exclusively contain boxes of exactly(!) the ammunition lot identified on its label: SmK L’spur (orange) of ammunition lot 1944 cdo 13 with St+ cases made by cg in 1944.

To be fair, I think you did not make a bad deal. The tracer’s of these rounds who were normally in this pack are all dead.

Instead you get a nice selection of ak (made with Czech elements) Polte lS tracers and P25 heavy ball.

I stopped long time ago with collecting full battle packs. If a battle pack is full or empty you cannot see from the outside.

You need space and second, the information on a box label is normally the same.

You can edit the title the same way you can edit a post.

Dutch: your comments bring to mind a question that has taken a good while for my mind to form: I have a Packhuelse for 225 (?) rounds of round nosed 7.9 m/m packed about 1902 and the only external marking on it is a rubber stamp reading ‘Tragschlaufe’ (I think; it’s not at hand). Am I correct in assuming there was once a printed label of particulars on the contents of this Packhuelse? I still have a couple or three of the 15-round boxes that provide the usual label contents, but this information is rubber stamped on the cloth tear strip of each box and is very close to being unreadable. Jack

I tried to edit after Johns first message, I don’t know why it didn’t take but I’ll try again.

Dutch you are most likely right. I did work it out with the seller and overall I am still happy. The main purpose of my post was just to serve as a reminder. Thank you all for the wise input as usual, now I’ll try to edit the title, again…

V/r

And again, I got lucky in that I only had to toss 5 of the I.s

The number 225 should be correct, because the Patronenkasten 88 held 1125 cartridges 88. Tragschlaufe is literally carrying loop.

Not only Patrone 88, also 1125 Patrone “S” were packed.

1 Like

The Packhuelse held 15 boxes because the box designed to hold three en bloc clips of cartridges in a uniform orientation was significantly wider than the later boxes to hold three Ladestreifen arranged in a compact up/down/up orientation. Of this later box design 20 could be accomodated in the Packhuelse. The earliest boxes for the S cartridge were of the same pattern as for the round nosed cartridge, hence Huelse was still able to hold only 15 boxes. Jack