Modified Bayonet scabbards

A little off topic…

I read an article or post not that long ago about (I think the Germans) in WW2 using bayonet scabbards that had notched cuts in them to be attached to bombs to make whistling sounds when dropped. The purpose was the psychological effect on the civilian populous. Does anyone have any documentation of this happening or being experimented with?

Hi, here is a previous discussion on the subejct:

Regards,

Fede

Thanks Fede, I did find that one… There was one however that specifically mentioned the experimentation or use of Mauser bayonet scabbards. There was a picture as well.

Here it is:

Edit: better resolution scan.

This is as wrong as it can get when some people’s minds run wild (back then).

These were converted (demilled) bayonetts which were “wood splitters”. (image source: internet)

1 Like

As always Fede, your the best :)

1 Like

Btw, the bayonet is a Model 1898/05 as used in WW1 and the “whistle” is WW2.
Also as even the image in that article is showing it has a commercial lettering on it.
Indicating that the author never saw the original device and did not know it was round and not oval/flat. A true expert!

And having dealt with German aircraft bombs of WW1 and 2 myself (I had to) there was never even the slightest indication for anything stated in that article.

So I better refrain from stating where the author above pulled his fantasy from.

1 Like

Alex, there is no doubt it is a “Splitter”, but it was reportedly used during WW2 as a bomb whistle. The information posted above was published between 1941 and 1944 by the Ministry of Home Security, London, UK (“Objects dropped from the air”).

Regards,

Fede

I know I will enter thin ice now but I still doubt it’s correctness.
I saw too many people in ministries who were and are clueless.

And as said, having studied German aircraft bombs for 3 decades no such single thing was ever mentioned and last but not least these do not show up in any UK or US documents on German aircraft bombs.

A single article by one warming his chair and justifying his presence in an office and not on the battlefield always inspired fantasies (not only in the UK).

Not to forget that such splitters were not in military possession anymore after they were made into this since they were commercial items by then. Means these were not military property anymore.

Sorry to join the fray with a side question, but who used those wood splitters? Surely not the military, too cumbersome to carry. Civilians can make much better wood splitters. Just in case I see one at a gun show.

Hard to say as these were surplus in hard times (inflation & crisis after WW1) and the tool as such is not all that bad to produce pipe lights or spills (if my English is not totally wrong as for this term).

1 Like

Kind of an odd coincidence that something like that would be found near a bombing site to be linked to an air raid.

That likely applied to the original whistles.
I still want to see such an item being recovered in UK soil at a bombed site.

My small addition to the post:
I remember at a gun show last year, a collector with a HUGE amount of bayonets from EVERYWHERE telling me the only bayonet he really missed wass the wood splitter made from a 98/05 bayonet, which was used to make kindling.
The only reason I DO remember is that I wrote a note so I coud look for info, and perhaps find one, and that is one of the many notes I have not lost… yet.

1 Like

Yes, there is absolutely no doubt that the notched scabbard is from one of those splitters. At least two firms made these, the ones actually marked ‘Splitter’ were made by ‘Industriewerk Auhammer, Suhl’, if I recall correctly. Now, if a bomb fell in WW2 on a house where one of these was in use, and the scabbard part was found in the debris, then I guess somebody could have thought up the original story.

1 Like

I knew I had a picture showing a German Second War bomb siren, here on a SC 50 under a Focke Wolf FW190 that’s being re-armed.

Peter

3 Likes

Peter, a really nice photo, thanks!

Were those just hollow tubes attached to the fins, or was there something inside them?

Jack, they are the said whistles. This is why they are hollow.

I was asking because whistles have slots in them, and usually a smaller input than output hole, so, I thought maybe they had slits cut like a whistle you blow through…