Moduler Cartridge Storage

I have cabinets with drawers about 3 inches deep. While pondering on how I could increase the storage capacity of these drawers and noting that most cartridges are only about 1/2 inch in diameter, I thought that if I could find an inexpensive way to make trays about 1/2- to 3/4 inch deep I could stack 3 to 4 of them in each drawer and thus tripling or quadrupling my storage. After exploring a number of possible answers, all rejected on the cost, I spotted an answer in my refrigerator. The foam trays that meat and fruit is packaged on seemed like an answer. When I went to the internet I found these trays are available in many, many sizes. They are cheap, about 5 cents each. The draw back is they are only available in cartons of 500 for about $25 to $30 per carton. I then went to my local grocery store and talked to the manager of the meat department and was able to buy 50 of each of 3 sizes I could use in my drawers for $2.50 per size. I then lined them with single sided corrugated cardboard and now have very nice, inexpensive additions to my storage problem. If you don’t want to stack them up and you have larger drawers you could use various sizes to sub-divide the drawers to store different groups of cartridges.