Moly coated bullets

Would other members of the forum agree with me if I were to say that moly coated bullets have had their day and can now be consigned to being one of those fads that came and went?

I know that Uncle has never adopted any moly coated bullets for smallarms ammunition.

I would think that if there was some real advantage ( barrel life/fouling etc. ) that we would be using them.

Hey Vince, that’s a shooter’s question. ;) ;)

Coated bullets are one of those fads that come back to life at least once every generation. Or whatever time it takes for shooters to forget the past. I’ve been shooting long enough to have witnessed at least 3 iterations, this latest lasting longer than those before.

Bottom line is, if you THINK coated bullets extend barrel life, reduce fouling, enhance accuracy, or cure male impotence, then you should use them. Good shooting is 90% mental and 10% physical.

Sierra Bullets did some exhaustive tests about 10 years ago and concluded that there was no advantage to any of the coatings. But, they still make and sell Moly bullets. Why? Because their customers want them.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”] if you THINK coated bullets cure male impotence, then you should use them.
Ray[/quote]

Maybe I might give them another try! But for target shooting they have completely died a death. The other advantage which you mention may have more interest. Not one I had considered.

I thought that the only tangible advantage was that the use of these coated bullets would leave the barrel with less copper residue, and the lubricant (left on the barrel) would cause more unburnt powder to blow out of the barrel than might otherwise stick to a barrel which had shot uncoated bullets. The claims of accuracy were just derived from the fact that a cleaner barrel shoots better. I had also thought that the present-day general opinion on the matter was that the difference was not relatively appreciable since the amount of barrel fouling and residue left from uncoated bullets took so long to build up from so many fired rds which most people would not reach in the normal course of service anyway.

Aw c’mon, everyone knows that molycoat makes standard jacketed ammo into armor-piercing death-ray ammo. No, wait, that’s Teflon…

I had a manufacturer molycoat several thousand rounds of 10mm duty ammo for me a few years back, but that was only to differentiate it from otherwise externally identical 10mm rounds I already had.

I haven’t heard of any significant recent moly end-use, except for the use of already moly’d bullets as a reloading component.

Cartridge case coatings (like the low-vis treatments offered by TTI Armory) intrigue me more than bullet coatings. Triton used to coat their cases with NP3 and it looked/worked really great.

I have on my desk a high-BC .50 cal sniper bullet I was given today (current military issue), which is turned from solid brass and moly coated. The makers said they didn’t normally like moly coating, but it was worth doing in this application.

Thats interesting Tony, its the first example of a moly coated military bullet I have come across.
Ten years, or so, ago it was a hot subject on the ranges as Bisley and everyone was clamering to try it. Many articles in the shooting press etc. Today its passed over and the subject never gets aired.

the only advantage I could discover for it is that it reduces barrel friction (not wear). Since barrels heat up due to friction rather than heat transfer from the burning gasses that was a small advantage. Every barrel shifts its point of impact as it gets hotter. thats inevetable. So sniper or match barrels that run cooler could be seen as a plus but its only marginal.