Monel metal primers

Recently I was looking over my several specimens of the .276 Pedersen cartridge and re-reading Hackley et al. on that topic. The use of Monel metal for primers was mentioned in that work, and I figured those of my cartridges with small domed nickel-colored primers were probably of said material. In looking up “Monel metal” in the dictionary I learned that alloy had been named after a man named Monell and that it was about 67% nickel in composition. I figured that with that much nickel it might attract a magnet (which a U.S. five-cent piece at about 25% nickel will not), so I got out my trusty magnet and put it up against the primers in question. Sure enough, the magnet stuck. Another diagnostic process added to my little bag of tricks. Jack

You will also find Monel primers in .30-40 Krag sub-caliber cartridges made in 1926 and 1928…

Randy

Randy: I had forgotten that the .30-40 sub-caliber cartridges had also used that material in some instances. My first reaction was that perhaps J.D. Pedersen himself had specified its use for the .276–it’s exotic enough to have appealed to him in the first place and he seems to have had the power to charm army ordnance! Jack

Is there such a thing as a list of metals used in ammo production with property descriptions like appearance, magnetic property, fragility etc.?