Monogrammed Primers

Can someone give me a time frame that the monogrammed primer was in vogue with US companies ?

I have this info somewhere but cannot locate.

USCARTCO–For the most part the monogrammed primers were to indicate a primer for smokeless powder vs. primers without monogram for black powder. So, they were used from ca. 1895-1925. After ca. 1926, most of the primers were non-corrosive and for all practical purposes black powder was phased out so the monograms were no longer needed.

I think it depends on what you mean by “monogrammed”. Some current primers use identifying one or two letter monograms - such as the CCI Benchrest primers. Others, such as Norma and Remington, used monograms until fairly recently (they may still do).

Ray

You still see plenty of monogrammed primers around on modern ammunition. A lot of companies use various initials to identify their terminology (such as “LF” for “Lead Free”) for “green” (non-toxic) primers. CCI had some trouble with a small lot of police ammunition not so many years ago, for very occasional misfires, so for awhile, until all those primers were disposed of, they marked that particular primer size and type with a “A” to indicate lots made after the one that gave troubles. CBC of Brazil (Magtech in the USA) still marks their non-corrosive primers with a stylized, square bottom “V” that I cannot reproduce exactly here.

I should have been more specific, I was referring to monograms such as the USCCo “$” and “US” along with Winchester’s “W” & UMC’s “U” marked primers.