Montgomery Ward 44-40 ammo

Found this buried in a crate in the back room of gun shop. Have never seen this box. What vintage and who loaded it for them. It is full metal patch ammo. head-stamp is simply “44-40”. Box is full but condition is poor.

Sportclay:

THE MOST LIKELY MANUFACTURER OF THE AMMUNITION WOULD BE, WESTERN CARTRIDGE CO. THE BOX LIKELY DATES CIRCA 1950-60. WESTERN FABRICATED AMMUNITION WITHOUT THEIR COMPANY NAME FOR MONTGOMERY WARDS, SEARS STORES AND PROBABLY OTHERS. IT IS, IN MY OPINION, STILL A NICE BOX EVEN THOUGH IT’S NOT IN LIKE NEW CONDITION.

Any lot number?

“WESTERN FABRICATED AMMUNITION WITHOUT THEIR COMPANY NAME FOR MONTGOMERY WARDS, SEARS STORES AND PROBABLY OTHERS.”

I wonder if that explains the lower left 45 Auto?

[quote=“dArtagnan”]Any lot number?

“WESTERN FABRICATED AMMUNITION WITHOUT THEIR COMPANY NAME FOR MONTGOMERY WARDS, SEARS STORES AND PROBABLY OTHERS.”

I wonder if that explains the lower left 45 Auto?

I will check for a lot number I don’t recall seeing one. One end flap is missing. I didn’t take the inside tray out of the sleeve as it is very fragile. I will give it a closer look with the cartridges out of the box and post the results. won’t be back at the shop for a few days.
I had suspected Western as the maker I had never seen FMJ projectiles in this round before either. Thank you both for the reply and I will look for the lot #.
David

Sportclay,

Nice find! It is interesting to note the bullet weight does not seem to be indicated. Perhaps found on the missing end flap?

Dave

A .30-30 box I once owned…also no bullet weight stated and cartridges made by Western Cartridge Co.

Randy

It may be of interest to mention the reason why Montgomery Ward & Co., after just a few years in the market, changed their ammunition brand from “Staclean” to “CleanFire”.

When this company made an application for the “Staclean” trademark on December, 1927, it was denied because there was a registration interference with Sears, Roebuck & Co., who was already granted with the trademark “Sta-Klean” for the same goods on November, 1927. Montgomery Ward appealed the case but lost it due to evidence presented by Sears that indicated that tthe “Sta-Klean” trademark was first used on interstate commerce on June 28, 1927. The goods in question were .22 Short cartridges made by Western Cartridge Co.

Even if the case was not decided until May 25, 1931, and the “Staclean” trademark was never granted to Montgomery Ward, they made full use of it from 1927 until early 1932 (the last ad I have found was published on January, 1932). Late in 1932, they introduced the “CleanFire” ammunition brand that was used for many years, but whose trademark registration, by the way, was not granted to this company either.

Regards,

Fede

Fede

THANKS FOR NARROWING DOWN THE DATE I GAVE FOR THIS BOX. I HAVE BEEN QUITE BUSY THESE PAST FEW WEEKS BINDING RANDY HEDEEN’S LATEST BOOK ON FRANKFORD ARSENAL MODEL 1898 CALIBER .30 CARTRIDGES & BOXES SO IT WILL BE READY TO TAKE TO ST. LOUIS IN APRIL AND WAS JUST TOO LAZY TO DIG THE BETTER INFORMATION OUT OF MY FILES. THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT AND ALSO PROVIDING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION I WAS UNAWARE OF!

Fede comes through again!

Sportclay and George, I find particulary difficult to find reliable information about the centerfire line of cartridges marketed by Montgomery Ward because most ads and catalogues are very generic and do not show illustrations of the boxes. As far as I can tell the “Cleanfire” brand .44-40 was offered between 1933 and 1940-41, and apparently, no line of centerfire cartridges was available from them until the introduction of the Hawthorne brand after 1958.

Below you can see an example of an ad published in 1934.

Regards,

Fede

The Monty Ward’s advert is amusing; apparently the deer have gotten tougher over the years, or maybe they were better shots back then.

When active in SASS CAS I wish I could have bought .44-40s for a buck fifty a box. Would have save me hours and hours of reloading! :-)

Found the lot # on the bottom of the cartridge tray.
3 7M24W31 Will this narrow the date?
Thanks
David