More 7.62x54r sections

More of my favoites. Note, that the AP-T has a crimped-in primer suggesting air use perhaps? Could this be a load for the ShKas before the use of the steel case with thick web? IIRC the primer is all red.

AKMS

I once made a statement on another thread here that while I really liked sectioned cartridges, I would always prefer having a full round. Guys like AKMS, Paul Smith and my dear friend Frank Neremberg are making me eat my words. I picked up a few sectioned rounds at SLICS and am beginning to wish my entire collection was sectioned - no legal hassles almost anywhere, and darn it - they ARE fascinating.

My friend Frank recently sectioned a few Makarov dupes for me, a cartridge that especially interests me because I collect everything to do with Makarovs, including the pistols. I gave him a Polish round headstamped “21 91” which has an unsnapped primer, a red primer seal and red case-mouth seal. A live, ball round, right? Wrong! He gave me back the sectioned round and pointed out that the primer cup was inert and there had been no powder in the case. I weighed the identical round in my collection and found it was about 3.5 grains lighter than any of my other Polish Mak ball rounds, just about a powder charge. A factory dummy, made for “who knows” purposes.

If you really want to know what’s going on with a cartridge, sectioning it seems to be the definitive answer.

Well, at least I am not too embarrassed by my original statement - I am wrong so often I am used to it. Thanks, AKMS, for the beautiful pictures of these fascinating loadings.

[quote=“AKMS”]

More of my favoites. Note, that the AP-T has a crimped-in primer suggesting air use perhaps? Could this be a load for the ShKas before the use of the steel case with thick web? IIRC the primer is all red.

AKMS[/quote]

AKMS, the ShKAS used only steel cases. Could you post the head of this cartridge please?

The cartridge is secured in a display frame at the moment and not easily accessable to be photographed. The head is unremarkable. The headstamp was “17 37” or maybe “38” and has a heavy annular primer crimp with what appears to be the remains of a solid pink-red lacquer sealant on the primer face. Somewhere in the past it was suggested to me that the primer crimp might have had something to do with aircraft use, as did the red primer color. There are no other headstamp markings besides the factory code and year.

AKMS

Maybe a sloppy paint job.

Having just met Paul Smith at SLICS, and getting to examine some examples of his sectioning work up close, I am determined to advance my skills in that field of ammo collecting. I know the rules on the forum about this, so will say no more. Paul is a pro, and while he did not divulge ALL of his “ancient chinese secrets”, I came away from that conversation with a new interest in this area. My goal is to have one of my examples as “Cartridge of the Month”. Look out Paul!

Rick