More ammunition contracts for the Spanish civil war

My comments and questions:

(1) I think these are the ones headstamped (19 WESTERN 16 7 m/m). 1917 too.

(2) These must be the ones headstamped XII36B, I37A, II37B, I38A and so on. Etairina means probably Elleniki Eteria = Greek Company.

(3) I believe these are the ones headstamped M at 12 o’clock. The first shipments were delayed as the Republicans wanted the shipments to be sent via Switzerland instead of via Germany.

(4) Had Norway the capacity of manufacturing 7 mm ammo? This contract was dated november 7, 1936, and shipped from Oslo. Newly manufactured cartridges. Raufoss ammo in 7,92 showed up in Spain (headstamp S RA S 1936).

(5) Probably FN, but such a small quantity speaks of remnants of another contracts. A shipment of 4 million rounds in 7 mm was sent from London with papers to Greece but I don’t know if it was this contract.

(10) Same contract as (4).

(11) Which headstamp?

1. I think you still have a problem trying to link the Western cartridge directly to Yugoslavia (Serbia). Besides the lack of direct documentation as outlined in Tony Edwards’s entry, you have the problem of figuring out how the ammunition got into the hands of the Republicans even if it was from Yugoslavia. The “Mascarell Report” consists of amounts “contracted” for, not necessarily delivered. I think if you look into it, you will find that the Yugoslav government of Prince Paul was pro-Franco and had no interest in helping the other side. It is reported in Howson’s book that several attempts were made by French arms dealers to acquire military equipment from Yugoslavia but they were rebuffed. If there is specific information about Yugoslav munitions actually getting to the Republicans, that would be very interesting. Perhaps the archive holding FAI/CNT records might shed some light on this issue.
  2. On page 345 of Volume 2 of Moetz’s “ÖSTERREICHISCHE MILITÄRPATRONEN” there is a brief mention of the 7mm “M” headstamp.
  3. If the RA headstamped ammunition was made at Raufoss, it did not come with the blessing of the Norwegian Government.
  4. Just where does the Mascarell Report come from?

DavidMcKay said:

I think you still have a problem trying to link the Western cartridge directly to Yugoslavia (Serbia).

Yes, I do. I asked about the probable origin of the Western cartridges, someone said they may have come from Serbia, and then I found the Yugoslavian contract.

You have the problem of figuring out how the ammunition got into the hands of the Republicans even if it was from Yugoslavia.

Well, most of the Republican purchases in Europe were done by Mexican diplomats and “certified” to be for Turkey, who provided the papers.

The “Mascarell Report” consists of amounts “contracted” for, not necessarily delivered.

This is correct.

I think if you look into it, you will find that the Yugoslav government of Prince Paul was pro-Franco and had no interest in helping the other side.

Hitler was pro-Franco too and still Rheinmetall-Borsig sold guns to the republicans.

It is reported in Howson’s book that several attempts were made by French arms dealers to acquire military equipment from Yugoslavia but they were rebuffed.

They could circunvent the rebuffing with the aid of Mexican diplomats and others.

If there is specific information about Yugoslav munitions actually getting to the Republicans, that would be very interesting.

That’s why I’m trying to trace the Western ammo and the contracts reported by Mascarell.

If the RA headstamped ammunition was made at Raufoss, it did not come with the blessing of the Norwegian Government.

This may be true. The Paulet company from Marseille sold 25 mm Hotckiss antitank ammunition to the republicans without the consent of the french government.

Just where does the Mascarell Report come from?

I’m still trying to figure it out. I still haven’t been able to find even the complete name for Mr. Mascarell.