MORE SALTS- USCG LST with 3 inch gun?

This fellow is in the gun position on what looks to me to be a WW2 era LST. What is the device marked ? What is the shell ?

May I add a question? What are those ball looking things hanging behind the sailor?

Vlad,
I’d say helmets. Except for that big one. No idear on that.

Doc,
I defer to Ray on the round.
And guess a fuze setter for the marked item.

Helmets. The larger one is designed for use with sound powered phones headset.

Yup. Good one, Shot. Not bad for an old bubblehead.

In my experience, a projectile that is flat/blunt as the one pictured, is a BL&P for targets, OR, it may be a dummy/drill cartridge for training the gun crews. On 16" BL&Ps, the blunt nose takes the blow of the (HEAVY) backing out tool. Indeed, the marked device is a fuze setter. They were somewhat obsolete by the time I joined in '77! The last one I saw was on the USS Truckee in 1979. It was for a single hand-ram 3"/50. I don’t recall if it was on the Truckee, or somewhere else, that I noted a fuze setter with an analog computer for input of data and final fire control solutions.

Thanks. The WW2 era US LSTs were armed with one 3inch (76mm) gun , plus others. This looks like the 3 inch but which one? It does not look like the 3inch 50. But which 3 inch straight case gun would use a fuze setter ?

Dittoes on the battle helmets, sound-powered phone helmet, and fuze setter.

LST’s were normally fitted with 40mm but I suppose it’s possible that some may have had 3"/50 single open mounts late in the War. I believe that’s what the cartridge is. It appears to me to be bottle-necked. But, that’s a posed photo to impress the sweetheart or mama so it may not have any relationship to LST 22.

LST duty had to be the worst billet in the US Navy. The air always reeked of diesel oil, they rolled in the slighest sea, they were slow and an easy target, and no glory for a boring but vital job.

Mr. Meketa

Yes, very dangerous duty. The shell doesn’t look like a 3 inch 50 to me but the photo is not that good , could be. The 3 inch 50 looks longer and more obvious neck. I don’t see a shoulder on this. These photos came from a 1944 war zone. The shell may just be missing the fuze. Were these in the ready rack without the fuze ?

Any WW2 era LST gunners on the forum ?

Just read (googled it) about the armaments on a WW2 LST. It seems that early on, the original six 20MM guns and one 3"(didn’t say what cal.) were “upgraded” to a variable quantity of 40MMs. I would imagine the Cap’n. could have requested an assortment, within reason. He might have opted to keep the 3". So, one might assume these are early war pictures.
Would be interesting to see some of the IAA Dicussion Board participant’s glory photos.

A search on the USS LST-22 revealed that the ship was manned by the US Coast Guard during WWII. Here is a quote from the ship’s history:

“She arrived at Hyane Harbor, Los Negros [Philippine Islands] on 2 March 1944 in a support landing during the initial phase of the operation. While on the assignment the ship came under enemy mortar fire and on orders of the Task Group Commander, opened fire with the 3"/50 caliber gun on the mortar fire area. During the afternoon she underwent an enemy attack, no casualties resulting from enemy action but three men being injured from an exploding 20 MM shell which hit the guard rail.”

Thank you. Does that history say if the ship was ever refitted for arms or if it carried the same guns all through the war ?

Commissioned USS LST-22, 29 May 1943, LT. Lawerence N. Ditlefsen, USCG, in command
Initial Armament: 7 x 40mm (single mount); 6 x 20 mm (single mount); 2 x .50-caliber mgs; 4 x .30-caliber mgs
• Decommissioned, 1 April 1946
• Struck from the Naval Register, 17 April 1946
• Sold to Ming Sung Industrial Co., Ltd., Shanghai, China, 3 February 1947 to be converted for merchant service, named M/V Wan Cheng
• Final Disposition, fate unknown

The history only mentions the initial armament and the incident in which the 3”/50 was noted but says nothing about when it was installed.

Only two drydocking and overhauls are listed (in 1944) but what type work was done is not said except for “installation of more antiaircraft guns”.

LST-22 had a short but very busy life in the US service
See uscg.mil/history/WEBCUTTERS/LST_22.pdf

For a guy in the middle of the desert you are a pretty good word on ships.

I have an empty brass 3"/50 case and it is 23" long. That sailor might be holding a 3"/50. Hmmm…

Could be. Hard to make out the neck.

Where is the fuze setter ?

Fuze setter (and sight setter) is probably behind the gun, being operated by the two sailor boys (one wearing a watch cap).

Tuck in those pant legs! And, square those caps! You’re in the US Navy!

Mr. Meketa

I worked on the MK33 MOD13 Rapid Fire Twin Mount. Those 3"/50s had very large counter-recoil springs with a single, large recoil cylinder beneath the gun. I don’t see a spring, so I am wondering if the cylinder I see has a twin on the other side. If these were filled with compressed air, they would help buffer recoil and supply the counter-recoil. There might/should be a large hydraulic recoil cylinder beneath the gun, filled with a 60/40 or 70/30 glycerin/water mixture.