More SHOT Show 2018 News ELECTRIC CASELESS EDITION

FD Munitions is showing off their new “caseless-in-name-only” rifle.

Currently taking on a very '80s retro-scifi vibe, FD Munitions is trying their hand at creating a platform and ammunition that is a cross between caseless and harmonica. The premise is the ammunition is caseless in that there isn’t a cartridge case that is ejected. Instead, multiple cartridges are contained in one multi-shot block that acts as a magazine. Currently, it is a five barreled design and uses five-shot blocks that can be snapped together, but there is a larger caliber in development.

Note: There are two separate “blocks,” The four-shot is a larger caliber than the five-shot.

A “cutaway” of a section of the block, showing primer, cavity for propellant, and projectile:

Forward end of the block, showing projectiles:

Snapping blocks together similar to G36 magazines (or Legos as they described):

The “rifle” with a “magazine” of blocks:

It’s an interesting way to keep some of the benefits of caseless ammunition while dealing with the biggest failure (heat), but I’m not sure this will really ever catch on.

Caseless%205

My question is why does the FD Munitions table have so much ASYM brand ammo on it? A collaboration, same company, just coincidence?

If you or anybody wants to take on the SHOT Show ammo thread here in the forum like I have done in years past, then it would be a good thing as I am generally too busy with my ammo store. Best places to check are the Outdoorhub blog, TFB, and then just doing searches on Youtube for SHOT SHOW 2018 ammo, where there are plenty of videos.

Found the patent, a super interesting design. It is far from being what we know as a traditional “caseless” design, as it fires using reloadable auxiliary chambers, like 19th century “harmonica” guns.

US2017198994A1.pdf (3.8 MB)

This is what I posted to CGN.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1671957-SHOT-SHOW-2018-New-cartridges

Thanks Dean. I like the swipe that Nosler takes at Federal’s much heralded .224 Valkyrie in comparing the apparently superior ballistics of their .22 Nosler to Federal’s load. Of course Federal will still have better distribution, marketing, and availability, especially long-term. I think the .33 Nosler and .28 Nosler are floundering fairly hard right now-mostly due to price, but the .22 and .30 Noslers are doing better for obvious reasons.

From a marketing perspective Nosler appears to be trying too hard…
Yes, you get very little drop at 1300 yards, but how stable is that projectile going to be with a little wind or humidity?

The Nosler appears to just take advantage of case capacity, the .224 takes the cake on using the best ideas from two sides: Case capacity and projectile shape.

Prediction: Nosler’s new offerings will fall to the wayside, the Valkyrie will be the new 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC

That’s a good point on wind turbulence, and probably humidity issues, rain, or any number of possible deflection scenarios. The longer Valkyrie bullet would do relatively better in that sense. It’s sort of moot in any case since 99% of the potential market can not / will not be taking shots at greater than 500 yards- certainly not with any regularity or consequential intent. That is true of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC as well. A nice thing for a small handful of competition or serious long range shooters who probably already shoot any number of match-grade wildcat hand-loads, but for the 99% of retail market customers - a nifty gimmick with slightly better accuracy (2" groups instead of 4" groups? - either way a functional shot for hunting or gong hitting).

Well suited for “barrel” measuring competitions for sure. If tracer projectiles were made more readily available for these calibers I could see myself getting interested, but the only time I ever shoot that long of a range there isn’t a way to retrieve your targets.

Someone just needs to revive and refine the 7.92 CETME

It certainly had much more energy (3500 ft-lbs at muzzle?) and thus less drop or wind drift, but that dang extra-long pointy bullet though…

Semi-jacketed aluminum core wasn’t it? The copper jacket was almost a flush-fit driving band. Maybe a polymer-based compound like the ARX projos could be used for cost savings?

Fund it.

Hahahah, oh wow. Yeah, that’s why long distance shooters love loading their 6.5 Creeds with stubby little boolits.

Nobody wants a round that has case head weaknesses and gives you 5.56 performance plus 50 ft/s while being completely incompatible with all legacy ammo, puh-leeze Nosler.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Nosler’s numbers there were a little “massaged”. None of their BC numbers look anywhere close to reality, given their bullet shapes.

Even then, they are still comparing two completely different cartridges with a selection of THREE different projo weights!

And just to add a more condescending tone about Nosler…it’s almost like they’re trying to be a more modern Weatherby.

.22, .26, .28, .30, and soon .33 Nosler? The wheel can only be reinvented so many times. Maybe soon we will see .17, .20, .25, and .35? Or even a .14??

Interesting development if true:

Link here about “caseless” gun

The article mentions sending bullets “over 2500 mph”, so over 3660 fps is decent.

That article should be taken with a grain of salt I would think. I just thought it was interesting there was any news on that weapon system at all, seems like it would need a lot more development before the military takes any interest at all.