More Yugoslave

This posting adds to my previous post concerning the Yugoslave

Firstly, what does “Sifra” mean?

John
From what I’ve been able to determine (verified by EOD), it means “Code”

Phil, great collection and research!

Phil - I have had the “59” and “61” in my collection for years, but I had never seen the box labels before your posting. Interesting.

The “59” date also is found in a dummy - I have one. It is the standard red-plastic filled dummy with the various anchor holes on the case and bullet, as well as the all red plastic “primer.” I suppose it is not really significant, though, since they probably used any reject cases to make these dummies. I doubt that it has anything to do with the purpose for whcih these “date only” rounds were made.

John, or could it be that these dummies were delivered together with the rifles and cartridges?

An interesting item anyways.

A Lot of words in the slavic languages have similar oprigins to the same words in European Romance languages.

The Root word here is “Ziphr” ( Middle ages Arabic) meaning "0"M (Zero), but also meaning, in general terms, “Numbers”.

The route of this word, and the concept of "Zero’ in mathematics, came to Europe through italy ( Cifra ( “a Number”); Cifrare–"to deal with numbers;
De-cifrare-- “Decipher, unravel the mystery, understand…Decode”.

The Balkans having a similar Arabic/Turkish occupation for several centuries, also adopted the Word into Slavonic, and Hence, Serbo-Croat (same language, different Alphabets).
The end result is a slightly different spelling but the meanings are the same in all related languages…" a Number, or Code."

Just as “Cypher” has different contextual meanings in English, so does it have in other Languages (Italian, Serbo-Croat, etc.).

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

John