Mortar Charge?

I Have a firing charge (inert) for the 2" mortar

I was then just recently given this. Putting the venires over it read 1.450" long
.640" dia . It has a lead plug similar to the Mortar Charge

Any ideas as to what this second one is I was told it was found up the base of a 2" mortar
May only be a story though

kiwi
I will add my thoughts to your query but I cannot answer it.
The Canadian 2" fired mortar primary should have a wad and obviously was re-crimped over the lead ball. There is no ball listed in any of my files and obviously fired with the case holes.

The second item I have no idea but again looks like somebody altered a case to fit a lead ball??
The diameter is correct for a 60mm mortar tail and is too large to fit a 2" mortar.

I show two styles of USA 60mm mortar primary cartridges. They are 0.64" diam (15.8mm) and are 1.75-1.8" long overall (44-45mm).
The paper section is 1.42" long (36mm) on the screw-in example.

I cannot help more. I have not seen examples with balls so make your own opinions. Ron.

1 Like

It may depend much on who made the 60mm charge. I saw similar ones which had closure discs made of lead but do not recall the details like manufacturer or country.

Kiwi
Can you check if the lead is a ball or just a lead disc by checking the fired case.
The inside of a 2" mortar tail is flat and I have recovered the top wads from fired primary charges.
The crimp would be opened and the lead would be flat (not rounded) if fired and original to the case.
Canadian cases never had lead wads to my knowledge and followed British manufacture specs.

I still have no info on your second item but feel it is not correct?

ron
I checked the fired one, gave it a scratch and it appears to be cardboard
My mistake it looked the same colour as the short one having been fired
I assumed the holes around the side were to set of the propellent charge
your pic’s don’t have these holes
On that screw in one is the cardboard section pushed into the base or wound on?
that would make sense to match the one I have

The holes you see are created upon firing when gas pressure is punching out the case walls where the surrounding tail section has the holes drilled.

EOD
Makes sense. Thanks
The base of the short tube is recessed .250"

I thought it had to be a card wad. The charge bursts through the holes along the mortar tail and the gases propel the mortar from the barrel. 2" mortars have no auxilliary charges, just the primary.

The 60mm I have is with a nice mortar. Inerted and the card pulls off the base.
The base has a rolled inward crimp at the base.
I can take a photo tomorrow if you need one. Thanks.

ron
Mine has a rolled inward crimp to
Sounds like I’m just missing the base
Many thanks

Here’s a couple of images to illustrate what has already been discussed in the thread above. One shows a (rough!) section of the lower end of a 2” Para Illuminating mortar bomb, beside a non-sectioned one. This demonstrates where the propulsion cartridge sits in relation to the drilled gas vent holes in the tail boom. As this is a para-illum, the green part of the section is the time delay for the payload. The gases escape out of the tail boom & re-enter through the upper holes to ignite the time delay (these holes are soldered closed pre-firing, as you can see on the complete tail section.) The other image shows the propulsion cartridge for the 2”, both pre-firing, and post-firing where the gases have vented out through the cartridge walls, to escape out the gas vent holes and propel the cartridge up the mortar tube.
image image

I think we have identified your mystery 60mm cartridge and it is missing the base?
Here is a photo. The base pulls off the centre-piece.(inerted).

I looked inside both steel and alloy 2" mortar tails and the cartridge roll crimp seats almost on a ridge.
I do not think the crimp can open much and your fired cartridge is how it looks when fired.

Thanks Ron
Yes I agree it is missing the base
Thanks for your photos and input
Cheers Graham

I would not say it is missing something as to my understanding these are single components which are assembled into the projectile.

Ok
I’ll Rephrase
to make it an operational set I would need to team it up with the screw in base
As on it’s own it is just a charge with no detonation component
Cheers

1 Like