Mortar propelling cartridges

Here is an example of a captured Czech mortar propelling cartridge taken from a German 5cm mortar bomb in Latvia.

Has anyone seen any other “booty” mortar propelling cartridges in use by Germany during this period ?

There are special offices proofing captured ammo and the tables of ammo that couldt be used in the different weapons comes out monthly in the "HEERESMITTEILUNGSBL

Excellent- do you have this on CD ?

[quote=“CSAEOD”]The German military of the third Reich captured several countries and millions of weapons and their ammunition. These are refered to as “Beutepatronen” or “Booty cartridges”. the booty of war.

Wilhelm Micke 's book " Beutepatronen und patronen fur Beutewaffen in der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939 bis 1945 " - ( Booty cartridges and cartridges for booty weapons in the German military 1939 to 1945 ) is a must have publication for anyone interested in 7.9,9mm Luger,or any of the small arms calibers in use in Europe and the US during this period. Although the book is in German ( I do not read German) it has lots of pictures and with very little effort it is usefull to open up this extensive body of material for collecting. The book illustrates hundreds of items which are not to be found elsewhere.

The book is available from the German section of the European club which can be contacted through the home page links here.

Germany used so many capurted weapons including British and US that they published a series of manuals covering the subjects. The “Kennblatter fremden gerats” series ( Identification of foreign equipment - might be a good translation) is very interesting although almost impossible to find in the original.

One of Bill Woodin’s college projects was translating volume D 50/8a of this series (ammunition up to 36mm) into English.

This volume includes US ammunition.

Here is an example of a captured Czech mortar propelling cartridge taken from a German 5cm mortar bomb in Latvia.

Has anyone seen any other “booty” mortar propelling cartridges in use by Germany during this period ?

TRANSLATIONS ARE MINE AND CORRECTION BY GERMAN READERS IS WELCOME.[/quote]

Sorry this propelling cartridge is no war capture. It is made by "Sprengstoffwerk Sch

There is also the D50/8b Heft 8b which is only dealing with Russian artillery ammunition and D50/9 which is covering all grenades and engineer munitions.

These were made for export to the Czech army. The German domestic use production has different markings. I will put up a photo later.

[quote=“genkideskan”]There are special offices proofing captured ammo and the tables of ammo that couldt be used in the different weapons comes out monthly in the "HEERESMITTEILUNGSBL

Sorry, it is as I mentioned above. All SAA collectors (in particular the shot shell collectors) can confirm this.

There are full 50rd boxes of these with German pre war markings intended only for the German Army. The Czechs by the way even had no 50mm mortars at that time.

Photos please.

The box is in the German Army Museum in Dresden. Have no images.

The boxes are shown up here from time to time mostly 100 rd boxes. EOD is right there is no code headstamp. Mostly the companys use their logo.
The box label say " H

This is the typical German propelling cartridge for the 5cm mortar. Note the military markings on the headstamp: “RWS 5cm 39”. The blue/green paint makes it hard to photgraph.

12ga Japanese cartridge for the 81mm Mortar.

I don’t know if this will be helpful for the research, but I have an Ubungs (the red practice round) 5cm wurfgranate round…round marked cbe 41, with the bakelite fuze marked WgrZT flt 43.

When I bought it, I noticed that something rattled inside, so I removed the fuze, lo and behold an original, unfired propelling cartridge was inside. Plain yellow paper hull, headstamped dnt 40, with (IIRC, its at home, I am at work) a green sealant applied…

I was very happy to say the least!

[quote=“pzjgr”]I don’t know if this will be helpful for the research, but I have an Ubungs (the red practice round) 5cm wurfgranate round…round marked cbe 41, with the bakelite fuze marked WgrZT flt 43.

When I bought it, I noticed that something rattled inside, so I removed the fuze, lo and behold an original, unfired propelling cartridge was inside. Plain yellow paper hull, headstamped dnt 40, with (IIRC, its at home, I am at work) a green sealant applied…

I was very happy to say the least![/quote]

Is that the entire headstamp?

The latter production had just the letter code and the year on.

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“pzjgr”]I don’t know if this will be helpful for the research, but I have an Ubungs (the red practice round) 5cm wurfgranate round…round marked cbe 41, with the bakelite fuze marked WgrZT flt 43.

I was very happy to say the least![/quote]

Is that the entire headstamp?[/quote]

Yep, that is all that is on the charge, and I looked last night, the entire base is green, not just the primer annulus, so I assume that it is a long range charge?