Muckleburgh Military Collection, Norfolk

Sorting through some pictures on my 'phone, taken over the holidays I found some pictures of a small assemblage of larger calibre shells on display at the Muckleburgh Military collection on the north Norfolk coast. Here is a link to their web-site;

muckleburgh.co.uk/

My apologies for the technical shortcomings of some of the pictures, photographing through glass is never truly satisfactory and although the i-phone is a thing of wonder it is, in many ways a Jack of all Trades. As always, when dealing with the bigger stuff I have no idea what any of it might be, or even if it’s worth showing.

Happy collecting,

Peter

Edited once (thus far); repetition after repetition.

Peter,

Worth showing?

That is a FANTASTIC collection!!!

I’m no expert in this area but much of what is shown is Soviet era large bore ammunition in EXCELLENT condition.

Tank ammunition, artillery ammunition, anti-tank ammunition, anti-aircraft ammunition, RPGs, other rockets etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

Brian

Thanks Peter for showing!

Norfolk, VA I hope? I’ll take a ride!!! How far from London is it? Good pictures though, trust me, I know all about glass. Sometimes I have to wiggle around just to get a shot.

Unfortunately Vlad, this is in the original Norfolk.

Thanks for the photos enfield56. I had never heard of this museum before. I will have to try and make a trip over there.

I had no idea the place was there until one day, driving along the coastal road in search of smoked eel, I found a Churchill Tank stuffed in a field with a sign advertising the museum. I subsequently drove past it dozens of times but never had the chance to visit until last November when I had a couple of hours to spare.

It’s not that far from London although given the roads in the area it might as well be in Siberia. From Charing Cross, where distances were traditionally calculated it’s 131 miles which, according to a route-planner, ought to take three and one-quarter hours. As an added temptation the journey would take you right past the wonderful Duxford aerodrome, part of the Imperial War Museum and chock full of interesting aeroplanes as well as a large Land Warfare section. A little further on you’d drive past RAF Lakenheath, home to a wing of USAF F-15’s, the field’s landing lights straddle the road.

Put it like this, it’s a long way to go for a small museum although the countryside and coastline locally are wonderful.

Peter

Their website mentions a function on May 31st - June 1st where trade tables are 25 each. I wonder if collector-worthy shell casings or de-milled ordnance will be available much at something like that?

If you are interested in INERT ordnance etc. and want to see what is available in Britain then I highly recommend you take a look at the pictures from the annual War and Peace show posted on BOCN here:http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/87131-War-and-Peace-show-Fjordhouses-stall

Direct link: bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 … uses-stall

You must be a registered member of BOCN and login in order to see the pictures.

Brian

Very nice selection at War & Peace. I suspect that the highly restrictive gun/ammo laws in Europe make ammo displays more antiquish (older, more WWII-WWI stuff, just fine by me) while here in the USA many shows are shooter/hunter oriented with all brand spanking new guns and ammo (which is great if you are a plinker).

The inert ammunition and ordnance found in the UK is not all antique. Sellers from Europe bring van loads of inert Eastern Bloc grenades, mortars, mines etc. in every year to sell at that show. There is also a lot of modern inert small arms ammunition from all countries.

You can also buy a brand-new Chinese made AK clone for about £200. Unfortunately with the internals cut up and welded solid. Companies buy these in direct from China by the crate-load to sell as what we call “deactivated” weapons. You can also buy many other types of similarly modified guns.

[quote=“Falcon”]The inert ammunition and ordnance found in the UK is not all antique. Sellers from Europe bring van loads of inert Eastern Bloc grenades, mortars, mines etc. in every year to sell at that show. There is also a lot of modern inert small arms ammunition from all countries.

You can also buy a brand-new Chinese made AK clone for about £200. Unfortunately with the internals cut up and welded solid. Companies buy these in direct from China by the crate-load to sell as what we call “deactivated” weapons. You can also buy many other types of similarly modified guns.[/quote]

For “deactivated” read “castrated”.

gravelbelly

I visited Muckleburgh quite a few years ago, but all I recall is AFVs and guns - I don’t remember there being any ammo at all. It looks as if they’ve acquired an ammo enthusiast in the organisation!

If you’re interested in big naval ammo, the Explosion! museum at Gosport near Portsmouth is the one to visit: explosion.org.uk