Mungo

I am reading a WWII memoirs called “Black Edelweiss” in which the author refers to mortars as “mungos”. I tried in vain to search for the meaning of “mungo”. May someone enlighten me in this “mungo” business?

Hi!

As far as I know, the “mungo bean” is the name of the vegetable usuially and spuriously called “soja sprout” in Chinese or Vietnamese cooking…

I do not see many relationship with mortars!!!, so the question is still pending!!!, but who knows!!!

Philippe

This book by Johann Voss is written in a highly polished English (I assume translated) and he repeats this “mungo” word hundreds of times. He is fighting in Karelia (Finland) and maybe it is a Finnish term. Maybe one of the German or Finnish collectors will shed some light on this “mungo” word.

Lots of Finns and Finn-o-philes on Gunboards. I’ll ask there.

Can it be that “Mungo” is some sort of slang here?

Mungo is a snake eating little animal:

hlasek.com/mungos_mungo_db8575.html

And here a patch of a Firm I once worked for - by coincidence a Mungo with a mortar shell:

Danke sch

Bittesch

Apparently there is no Finnish meaning to “mungo”. I guess you can eliminate that idea.

There was a book or an article by Terry Bull called “Mungo Mortillery” published in December 1941. Maybe someone who knows internet searching better than I will lend me a hand in this quest. I just want to see a picture of this “mungo”.

Unfortunately I find no proof for it but I believe “Mungo” is the (nick?)-name for German artillery pulling engines.

Hans

I’ve talked to West Point Academy library and they have that “Mungo Mortillery” article on microfilm. When (and if) I get it, I’ll post my findings.

Is this of help?

books.google.com/books?id=cQEpok … _chfQQiMdU

books.google.com/books?q=mungo+m … arch+Books

I did receive a 2 page fax copy of Terry Bull’s “Mungo Mortillery” from West Point Academy Library. Unfortunately, it appears to be a fictitious fantasy of WWII continuing into 1950 and Americans fighting Germans on New Year’s Eve of 1950. The end.

Didn’t they at the south pole till far into the 1950’s?