Munico 9mmP by Dominion

This headstamp by Dominion has been around and is pretty well known. The box is a standard military style 64 round box without a lot number. Doing some work today, I realized I don’t have anything on who this was made or when it was made.

It is probably common knowledge and I have just forgotten to write it down.

Help appreciated.

Cheers,
Lew

From the IAA Headstamp Guide:
“Industries Valcartier Inc., Montreal, Québec, Canada (Made for Politek Distribution Inc., Québec)”

Lew, I can add that Politek was incorporated on January 23, 1975 and that the “Munico” trademark was registered on February 7, 1975 (application filled on October 23, 1973).

Regards,

Fede

Thanks guys! Appreciate the details!

I was told once upon a time that this was an offshore contract. The Canadian military boxes of this period usually have the manufacturer as part of the Lot Number. The box for this round is just standard Canadian military with no lot so no date or manufacturer identified. Doesn’t sound like commercial ammo to me.

IVI bought the old Dominion Ammunition plant in 1976. If this ammo was made in 1975, who was operating the old Dominion Plant at that time? Maybe it was made after IVI bought the plant but the original questions still stand-why was it made?

Politek Distribution Inc. is a strange name for a commercial ammo company. Did they ever do anything else or were they just a front company? A brand name like Munico, doesn’t sound very Canadian to me.

Does anyone have any idea who this was made for or who owned/ran Politek Distribution???

Must be a story here somewhere!

Cheers,
Lew

If MUNICO is short for Munitions Co., it could easily be for or by an English-speaking country. Canadians do speak a form of English, eh?

Dominion and IVI supplied most ammunition to Canadian Police forces for various years.
Politek was a company who distributed Police equipment such as Batons, Handcuffs etc.
Though no proof of this following statement I am logically guessing Politek contracted IVI to produce ammunition for them to also distribute to their police customers using the “Munico” headstamp. The province of Quebec and many cities in the province have their own police forces, not using the federal RCMP.

Incorporation details"
Politek Distribution Ltd.

REGISTRANT:
DONALD LOISELLE, FAISANT AFFAIRE SOUS
LA RAISON SOCIALE POLITEK ENRG
368 rue du Roi
Suite 3030
Québec
G1K 2W5
QUEBEC

Incorporation details:
APPLICATION NUMBER:
0370437 REGISTRATION NUMBER:
TMA211683
INC FILED:1973-12-03
INC REGISTERED:1976-01-23
INC INACTIVATED:1991-03-08

GOODS:
(1) Tous genres d’équipement policier nommément des bâtons de police ou clubs, et des casiers de tir en métal.

Given the Mandated Bi-lingualism of Canada (English and French) a Name like “MUNICO” ( Munitions Company or Munition Compagnie) would fit well into this prescription: Note the Company Registration is in French first, then English (Typical of Quebec Province—Sorry, Province de Quebec)

Doc AV