Mwk

Which company was NWK in pre WWII Germany ?
thanks
JP

To be honest, NWM, IWK, EWK, MWM come to my mind, but I cannot recall NWK at the moment. Could you elaborate?

Oups !!
I mistook

it is MWK

I think it is for Mauser Werke K ???
I found it on a ctge drawing

Usualy the Mauser drawings have the word Mauser on them

this one has only the MWK logo

JP

For MWK only Mechanische Werkstätten Königswartha comes to my mind.This was the factory in East Germany that used 04 as identification on cartridge headstamps.
It was newly erected, so had no pre-WW2 predecessor (apart from a Munitionsanstalt on the same site).
But it used no logo I know of, only ordinary text.

Mauser never used MWK as far as I know. DWM was BKIW (Berlin- Karlsruher Industriewerke) for a time after WW1 and IWK (Industriewerke Karlsruhe) after WW2. Dutch NWM, when owned by IWK also used the DWM-logo format, but with the letters NWM.

What calibre ist the cartridge drawing you are referring to?

12.7mm Sprenggranate-Patrone mit Colt Hülse dated 1935

jp

JP, could you post a picture of the MWK logo from the drawing. That may help.

Cheers,
Lew

Or even better the whole drawing! :)

There was a series of Rheinmetall-Borsig offices designated “MWK” which were involved in ammunition developments. I have seen these noted as “MWK” or “MWK-Büro” and also several variations like MWK-B, MWK-F, MWK-S, MWK-St, MWK-VB and MWK-W. For example, Theodor Rakula, who was one of the designers of the 2cm Flak 30, worked at “MWK”. I hope someone explain these designations.

JP, great drawing, thanks for sharing. You can see the Rheinmetall logo under MWK.

As Fede already wrote, the company is Rheinmetall and MWK is a department of Rheinmetall.

MWK stands for the Maschinenwaffen branch (headed by Fritz Herlach, later of Oerlikon) of the Konstruktionsabteilung (headed by Carl Waninger). According to CIOS XXVII-65 it was located at Unterlüß.

[quote=“JPeelen”]As Fede already wrote, the company is Rheinmetall and MWK is a department of Rheinmetall.

MWK stands for the Maschinenwaffen branch (headed by Fritz Herlach, later of Oerlikon) of the Konstruktionsabteilung (headed by Carl Waninger). According to CIOS XXVII-65 it was located at Unterlüß.[/quote]

thanks
and what is this ctge ???
jp

12.7x99/.50 BMG

Yes of course !
But the germans used to do trials with them ??
In 1935 and furthermore with explosive bullets ???
JP

Not necessarily, lots of ammo had been evaluated and researched. Note the Boxer primer pocket, a pretty un-German thing at that time.
During the war there is a production of 100,000 steel cased rounds documented as Germany had plenty of booty weapons. Unfortunately no specimen of these had been found so far.

JPeelen, the documents and drawings I have seen mentioning the “MWK” offices are signed “Werk Borsig Berlin-Tegel”. I haven’t seen any mention of the Unterlüß location associated to any of these, only to WKW (Waffenkonstruktion) and late in the war. Can you post a document where the meaning of “MWK” is explained as “Maschinenwaffen Konstruktionsabteilung”?

In 1935 there was no explosive bullet with this design for the 50 Browning ctge in the US.

Does it mean the germans made such a particular bullet ?

No specimen ?

jp

Jean-Pierre, unfortunately nothing has shown up yet.

Fede, I have only my notes from said CIOS report but not the report itself. According to my notes there were the following branches of the Konstruktionsabteilung under Prof. Carl Waninger:

Heer: Dr. Emil Müller, Leipzig
Marine: ? Madrou, Leipzig
Luftwaffe: Dr. V. Vüllers, Marienfelde
Ballistik: ? Ludwig, Sömmerda
Maschinenwaffen: [Fritz] Herlach, Unterlüß
Schießplatz: Dr. Ziegenbein, Unterlüß
Forschung: Dr. Richard Braun, Unterlüß
mech. Zünder: ? Schläfer, Sömmerda
elektr. Zünder: ? Rühlemann, Breslau
Fernsteuerung, Türme: ? Gietmann, Leipzig

The CIOS report is from the end of the war and the drawing is from a much earlier time, which I did not make clear in my response. Rheinmetall organization most certainly was not the same at both times.
(Allied intelligence reports are notorious for spelling names wrong, so the above list could contain errors.)

JPeelen, thanks for your response. I have the feeling that “MWK” stands for something else related only to ammunition but can’t find out what it is. Rheinmentall’s weapons department contemporary to JP’s drawing was noted in documents as “WKW” and according to a BIOS report the last letter seems to be an indicative of “Waffen” (the research department was named “WKF”, where the “F” correspond to “Forschung”). The director of WKW during the era of JP’s drawing was Fritz Herlach but MWK had a different director named Schuler.