My new collection - need ID help

Hello guys,
I am new to the forum and also new to collecting.
I just bought a fairly large supply of old and wildcat ammo from a gunsmiths shop and I will need some help on identification. Is there a web site that can look at for this. I have some ammo made from 30-30 and 30-06 casings. I’ve found one that could be a 40-70 (30-30)and other ones 9.3-06, 6.5-06 (30-06)
Lots of other, 348, 43 Egyptian & 43 Spanish, 45-70. Really some neat stuff.
Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. And what some of it may be worth if it over 100 years old or close?
ED

Are we not able to post pictures on here? I understand the site has had some recent problems.

You can’t post photos directly, but you can upload your photos to a hosting site (photobucket, etc) and than link to them using the “img” button (above) to bracket the URL (web address) of your photo.

Ed,
I don’t know too much about ammo but I am also NRA and, if you need help posting photos, you may contact me.
Vlad

Ed, Welcome to the Forum. I have been collecting ammunition for over 50 years (9x19mm pistol ammo) and it is a great hobby, there is always something new and exciting to find, and very little if it is really expensive. )ne of the best things about it is the people. Cartridge collectors as a group are helpful and supportive. I have friends that are still active on this forum who go back over 40 years.

Welcome to the hobby!

Enjoy,

Lew

Ed,
‘Welcome’ also from us Brit collectors. I think you’ll be surprised at how much you can identify through this forum with it’s knowledgable and helpful users.
Try the search facilty - it’s not my field of interest but just type in the word ‘wildcat’ and I suspect you’ll be amazed at the information it brings up.
Jim

ED

Also a big welcome from Germany.

Dutch

ED

Also a Big welcome from the Dutch collectors.

gyrojet

[quote=“lifelongnra”]Hello guys,

Lots of other, 348, 43 Egyptian & 43 Spanish, 45-70. Really some neat stuff.

ED[/quote]

Although I’m not an active collector, I think I can welcome you to the hobby like the next guy.

Would love to see those .43 Spanish rounds. Are they of Spanish manufacture?

Howdy ED.

If you’ll line up a handful of cartridges, put a common one such as a 30-06 in the middle to use as a reference, and take a photo, we can probably ID 99% of them for you. Even the wildcats!

Ray

Good day and Thank you all! It is really super to be able to communicate with such good people from all over the world.
I will get those pictures coming.
On the 43 Spanish rounds there is no head stamp. On the Egyptian there is something but I was told they were original (+100 years old) have a balloon case and were not good for todays shooting or reloading. The Spanish look as though they have been reloaded. They look similar but the spanish have a more pronounced shoulder.
Get back soon. Great idea!
Thanks
Here’s the 43s for a start:

43 Egyptton head stamp:

43 Spanish head stamp:

Here are the ones I’m not sure of. The right is the 30-06 but what kind of a HP bullet is this, it has a huge hole. Could it have been a ballistic tip that has been removed? The other 2 are made from a 30-30 case.
I think the one in the middle is a 40-70 peabody but not sure.

I also have some 308 Military that look like the primer is missing but there is something inside the hole, they were in the clip for an M1 Garand, I think. I don’t have them with me so I will get pictures later.

lifelong

Forgot to tell you - some measurements too. Such as bullet diameter and case length for starts.

Ray

Ed,

Welcome to the Forum. Just my shot from the hip but…

From the picture with (3) items, I would guess the one on the left is an 8.15x46R. The middle one might be a .32-40 WCF as brass for that caliber was not always available. The hollow point bullet on the .30-06 is not too different from the looks of a light (130 gr.) Speer or other brand bullet made for varmint or smaller game use. As Ray said, some measurements help for confirmation.

Again, hip shots at best, but that’s my guess.

Dave

Hi Ray, if I give you the dimensions isn’t that to easy for you? Okay!
Here I added some more the center is 30-06 and the right is 308 I just don’t know what kind of primer is in it. It is marked LC 66 (lake City 66)
Okay I’ll give you some more info. I am using a standard dial caliper not a digital. From Left to right:
(1)case length 1.812" bullet .314"
(2) case length 2.045" bullet .320" (I am thinking they are 8mm) Both are made from a 30-30 shell)
(3) 30-06
(4) case length 2.106" bullet .308"
(5) .308 cal but that’s all I know.
I am American that’s why it’s not in metric measurements. I hope you can understand my measurements.
I didn’t think you would need the overall length.
Enjoy!

not sure what this is I thought it might be a 7.62 Russian on the head stamp there is 55 and 31

This is the 308 what type of primer is in it? I don’t know if it has been hit or not. Do you know what type of bullet is in it?

I’ll have ago at numbers 4 and 5 as these are military rounds, commercial and sporting ammo just doesn’t do it for me;

Number 4 is a 7.62mm x 54mm Type 53 Ball round manufactured by factory code 31 in 1955. It’s lack of tip colour means it has a lead core, the later mild steel-cored rounds are identified by a silver or white tip.

Number 5 is a 7.62mm x 51mm Dummy, as you say made by Lake City in 1966, and I this is slightly unusual in that I think it is an ‘Inert Dummy, Balance Test’. I suspect that if you shake it you can hear or feel powder moving inside it? It has an inert filling to make it the same weight as a live ball round and is used to determine the centre of gravity on helicopters.

Jim

Jim, could you expand on “helicopters”? I don’t understand why it is important for ammo to know the centre of gravity of a helicopter.

Vlad
Not a avation expert, but I suspect that they used these to determine the storage location(s) for the ammo, as well as helping to determine the placement of the guns that used them.
IOW aircraft have a spot around which all mass is centered/balanced (center of gravity AKA CG), including “standard weight” crew members, fuel tanks, cargo etc. There is a very limited amount of flight control adjustment available to “trim balance” the aircraft so that it flies in a neutral control position, and having the “fixed” weights properly located minimizes the amount of adjustments needed (as the fuel is used, the lower weights will shift the CG around, but they will also draw fuel from the various tanks (if available) to keep the weight balanced)

Bob

That is a great description. I got a chuckle reading it because it almost describes me - a one-eyed fat man. Shifting weight, taking on fuel, center of mass.

Jim

What is the bullet on that 7.62 MM Dummy? I don’t think I have one like that.

Ray