My periodic WWI .45 ACP longevity test

Every few years, I dip into my cache of several hundred rounds of WWII GI .45 ACP ammunition to see if it still works. I did that today, firing 5 rounds each of EC 42 (steel case) and RA 42 (brass case). All fired and functioned just like new in my Model 1911.

No surprise there. I used to do the same think with WWI .45 ammo. I have an already pitted barrel I would put into my G.I. M1911A1 pistol, just in case i missed a spot cleaning it afterwards. I don’t recall ever having a misfire, although with rounds of one date, I forget which, from REM-UMC, I had a few short-time hand-fires. That little bit of ammo was really dirty with signs of poor storage, and I simply scrapped out most of it for the bullets. Clean rounds from the same maker performed perfectly, like all the others.

Since all the .45 ammo I ever saw in the Army and Army Reserve, and much of what I fired on the FBI range out here in pistol and TSMG as a guest shooter (about twice or three times a year for a couple of years) was EC or ECS Steel case, with never a misfire or malfunction that I can remember.

Nice to hear about someone keeping it up. I haven’t done any of that for twenty years or perhaps a little longer.

I think I posted something here a couple of years ago about firing some REM-UMC 18 military 45 ACP ball. I think 6 0ut of 10 rounds fired OK, with a tiny bit of a perceptible hangfire on most of those. But they were pretty grungy. Those that fired had chronographed MVs that were about right, around 800 ft/sec.

I had a surplus stash of 1955 dated R.A. .45 ACP a while ago. We fired a bunch of it through a Colt 1911, it all worked fine and was pretty accurate. The smell was terrible, though.