Mystery belt/ammunition can

7,9 x 57 ammunition, what gun is this from?

These are links for the Madsen MG as manufactured for Germany during the war. As far as I know they were used by the air force for base defense.

The Madsen links look similar to Browning links but the rear loop does not completely encircle the cartridge case. The loop goes just over half way round. The star-shaped holes punched through the central web of the link identify the calibre; one star=7x57mm; two stars=7.92x57mm.

gravelbelly

thanks, didn’t know there was a belt fed variant of the madsen…

Belt fed Madsens were not very common, but the ones made for the Luftwaffe during the occupation were simply put, a 7,92 mm version of the 8 mm aircraft mounted gun made for the danish army and navy air corps. The first belt fed experimental guns were delivered to the army air corps in 1926. These used a different link type than the one shown.
The first use of the one on the picture is in 1933. Guns of this type had a link chute and collector bag.
That box and belt is a nice find!
Soren

vaabenhistoriskselskab.dk/ar … editid1=45

[quote=“mausernut”]The first belt fed experimental guns were delivered to the army air corps in 1926. These used a different link type than the one shown.
[/quote]

This one I assume:

Have some of them somewhere but not photographed yet.

Exactly!

Soren

Hello,

@ duchamp, can you please confirm that your Madsen links are black overall ?

If so, are they matt phosphated or glossy black ?

Thanks

[quote=“JFL”]Hello,

@ duchamp, can you please confirm that your Madsen links are black overall ?

If so, are they matt phosphated or glossy black ?

Thanks[/quote]

Would there be a meaning to the surface finishes like production periods?
If I recall right I have seen plain ones as well.

these actually aren’t mine, this came up on another forum and no one had a satisfactory answer, here is one more shot. they were found in a lake in finland.

i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy10 … 009266.jpg