Nambu Cartridge Details

For pistol cartridge fans. Though this may be of interest, also helps with my practice :)

Sorry a couple of pages are not quite entire. If required I may be able to access them again.

Cheers

John

John - a very interesting document. Thanks for posting. It shows how little they knew about Japanese ammunition when that report weas written. While mentioning 7mm and “7.62” mm, they cast doubt on their “standard” use. Perhaps in context of the word “standard,” they were right, but many Japanese officers carried the 7 mm Nambu pistol, and not just high-ranking officers are often stated. My own Baby Nambu pistol was captured from a recently promoted Army Captain, in the Philippines towards the end of the war.
I describe his rank the way I did because I have one of his shoulder boards along with the pistol, which has the three stars of a Captain, but the middle star is a different pattern than the other two, and you can see the holes from the attaching posts of two stars between them. That would indicate a field promotion with no opportunity before he was KIA to purchase or be issued a new set of shoulder insignia.

Further, many Japanese officers carried 7.65 Browning caliber pistols of various makes and models, even down to the Colt Hammerless Model.

The Japanese Navy made use of SMGs in caliber 7.63 mm Mauser caliber, and possibly 7.65 mm Parabellum as well, since there are Japanese cartridges of that caliber also.

Finally, while probably not carried much in the field, the Japanese made a military loading in 6.35 mm Browning as well.

The technical information on the cartridges that are listed, though, is excellent, as you generally can only find that by tearing apart specimens of the cartridges.

Yes John,

I found the technical details the best part of the document. I rarely saw any Nambu cartridges when I was collecting, only a couple of the calibres.

I was also interested in the translation of the box label. I know nothing of Japanese characters, but their numbers are very similar to Chinese. The rendition of 2 10 6 for 26, I understand, but I wasn’t aware they used the zero as in 5 0 being 50 rounds. Perhaps one of the members can explain when they use the 0 instead of the 10 character.

Cheers

John