Name for Cartridge Collecting

After decades of organized ammunition collecting there is still no scientific name for it.

Collectors of stamps, coins even string have scientific names for their efforts.

Suggestions ?

Ammuphilia ? i.e. “crazy about ammunition”. Some of us are not crazy but this is subject to definition.

Ammunology ? i.e. “study of ammunition”. More collectors collect it than seriously study it.

COLLECTING ?

??

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]
More collectors collect it than seriously study it.
??[/quote]

Yes, a sad observation…

Ordonology?

I dreamed that I have found a warehouse of experimental cartridges, there are thousands of them and in their original boxes!!! I think mine is a disease! “Ammunititis” ¿¿??

I know some of you also have dreamed of something! I’m not alone! hehehehehe !!!

Projectology?

I am a Cartologist who specializes in SAA, I am not an expert in the field of Cartology though I am just a novice.

That’s the best I can come up with.

Richard.

If you follow the logic of other naming systems for collecting such as Breweriana, Militaria, and Philatelia, then ammo collecting might be “Ordnancia”. Else some people just consider it a branch of Militaria, even though that is generally considered to be uniforms, medals, & accessories.

Except there’s a lot of stuff involved that’s not military.

Ballistology? (-ography?)
Cartology?
Ordology?
Ammunology?

• In my opinion there is no need for a “name” regarding a cartridge collector and his hobby. Today there are guys collecting a large variety of door knobs and I don’t know the name for their strange hobby. Liviu 08/19/11

ordophile…

ammosexual…

In French “Pyrothécophile” collector of cartridge of hunting

DOOR KNOBS! You compare our avocation with collecting DOOR KNOBS!

Anyone disagree that this fellow could be a spy for Ladies Home Journal ?

DOOR KNOBS! You compare our avocation with collecting DOOR KNOBS!

Anyone disagree that this fellow could be a spy for Ladies Home Journal ?[/quote]

• Yes, I am !!! Liviu 08/19/11

Honesty is always the best policy !

Expensivis cartridgis

drainingis of the dinerois

lol

Reading all of the pseudo-scientific labels reminds me of the banners they put beside the freeze frames of Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, like, “Canis Despickibus”, or, “Speedious Objectus”. Maybe ours should be to the effect of, “Ordologist Brokeious”, or , “Projectious Insolventious”. Needed the humor today Doc Schmitt. Thanks, Bruce.

I think philately and numismatics are derived from French words.

French for cartridge is cartouche. So, cartouchology?

People collect anything. A long while back, I had a friend who collected firecracker packet labels, and he had thousands of them. I don’t think there is a name for that either.

In Italian “oplologia” is the science that studies guns and related items ( so ammunition too). Not how to use them but it studies their history and technics

From the greek word “oplita” wich was the bodyarmor used by Greek infantrymen

[quote=“Pivi”]In Italian “oplologia” is the science that studies guns and related items ( so ammunition too). Not how to use them but it studies their history and technics

From the greek word “oplita” wich was the bodyarmor used by Greek infantrymen[/quote]

That must sound better in Italian than English. In English it sounds more like an eye disease.

COMEDY ? This is serious ammunition business !

The Coyote never got a break.