NATO 9mm question

While at my gun club’s Christmas party, I wandered onto the shooting range and picked up a bunch of wasted brass. Then, while waiting for food, I looked at the headstamps and came up with a question for this forum. Some time ago I was told that at this forum there is no such thing as a stupid question. So here is my highly intelligent highly informed and by no means an inane question: Do US Army sell surplus ammo in the open commercial market or the fact that I see NATO symbol indicates that US Army is using our shooting range?

…or just somebody is using US-Army ammunition on your range?

From time to time, the “USA” Winchester Generic brand (white box) ammunition has been loaded in NATO-marked cases. There is no law that says ammo so marked cannot be sold commercially. Whether in those instances the ammunition is actually loaded to NATO specifications is the question. You find the same generic brand loaded with commercial “WIN 9mm LUGER” headstamped cases as well.

It is the same case as when Federal has sold “white box” ammunition in 9mm and .45 Auto with the NATO mark on the case.

We find these WCC and Federal NATO-marked cases on the our range often - all fired by civilian shooters.

It is not a case of the military selling surplus ammunition, most certainly in the past few years when it has been hard with industry to keep up with military demand for SAA.

Both the Win. & Fed. 9mm NATO ammo can often be found for sale at local gun stores, gun shows or on-line. If I recall correctly, Midway and ammoman.com often have the Win. stuff for sale.

I’ve found several different styles of the Win. NATO 9mm at one gun shop in particular, including the plain white box with black letterings and the “law enforcement only” white/orange boxes.

People who sell the Winchester Ranger LEO ammo often have the NATO ammo available in the Ranger style boxes with the Ranger Badge logo on the front.

US military surplus ammunition can not, by law, be sold to us civilians who paid for it originally. However, factory over-runs and seconds can and are sold directly to the public. Since they were never sold to the government in the first place, they are not “surplus”. Once fired military cases also turn up as reloads or remanufactured ammunition…

AKMS