Need 8x68S ammo leads

This is my first post here - nice, very informative forum.

I am currently a gunsmith student and have begun planning a rifle build for the school’s “final” project. I chose 8x68S as the caliber and everything was proceeding smoothly until the last month or so. For the life of me, I cannot find any new factory ammunition for this caliber. It is my hope that the membership here can help me locate a source so that I may secure at least a box (20 rds.) for test-firing the rifle during the various building stages.

I would prefer to use RWS factory ammo but am in no position to be choosy and would be happy with Hirtenberger, Blaser, or DWM. While this project is far from being complete, I do not want to be scrambling for ammunition at the last minute.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Pinotguy–You would be better served to post your request on some of the many shooting oriented Forums online. Our Forum is directed at collecting cartridges, not shooting them. I am sure that many of our members could supply 1 or 2 rounds, but in general, our members do not sell by the box full. This is not an especially rare cartridge and I would think it should be available.

I coulda’ swore I saw a box on auction arms or gunbroker.com just the other day. A quick search turned up nothing. I have a box of ten, from RWS kicking around here somewhere, but they really aren’t for sale. You may have to resort to handloading, which means that you will kindly have to take your query elsewhere… like here maybe: huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

Check with the guys over on the forums at www.accuratereloading.com
They may know of a source, or worst case be able to provide you with data (something that we are not allowed to do on this site).

I appreciate the above responses. I have tried, in vain, to track down some factory ammo on other forums. However, as the majority of these are geared toward the average American sportsman, virtually no one has heard of the 8x68S. Those few who had could not provide any substantive leads. In my search, I’ve discovered that while this cartridge may not be that unusual in Europe or Africa, it is considerably rare here in the U.S. In addition, I tried to acquire some through overseas outlets but that has some major legal ramifications. This is why I posted on this forum - I thought this would be a logical place to locate some ammunition in this caliber.

Assuming you haven’t chambered it yet, why not try something like the 8mm Remington Magnum? It is a comparable cartridge and is certainly easier to find.

At this point, I’m too far into the planning phase to change calibers. I’ve already purchased a chamber reamer and headspace gauges. Belted cartridges do not appeal to me so I never really considered the 8mm Rem. Mag.

pinto

8x68S brass is a favorite of long range benchrest shooters for wildcatting. So, the brass is available but since there are few who shoot that caliber, unaltered, you will have a harder time in finding factory ammo, as you have found out. But it is out there if you look hard enough.

I’d try a couple of the outfits that specialize in brass and odd cartridges, such as Huntington’s in Oroville CA and the Old West Scrounger in NV (the last I heard).

You should be able to Google links to them.

Good Luck

PS - Neither brass nor loaded ammo will be cheap. So if you’re on a limited budget you might want to consider alternatives, such as forming your own from basic brass which is usually available from places like Huntington’s. Or from 6.5 x 68 brass which is a lot easier to find.

Ray