Need help identifying two items

Going thru my grandfather’s old box, I found two items. I had hoped to post an image along with this query but see that images cannot be directly uploaded. I will do my best to describe the items. The first is a cylindrical copper tube like affair, rounded at the top, with a small projection(less than 1/8") on the very tip. The base is moderately flaired. Overall length is 1.25" and the cylinder diameter is .355. I have no clue what it is.

The second item is a cartridge which has no headstamp, but is centerfire with a primer. The rim is .422, base.380, case length .85-.87, and the bullet is a little less than.38. What perplexes me is the bullet itself appears to be six sided, coming to a point more or less. I am wondering if this is my grandfather’s handiwork with a penknife or are there cartridges out there which fit this description. Thanks for your help. Grandpa lived in the late 1880’s. Any help uploading a picture to this site also appreciated.

Herky

Go here for instructions on how to post images on the Forum. I suggest you use PhotoBucket. Once you have your image on PhotoBucket, use the LAST choice,{img}, under your picture to post the image. After you click on {img}, go to your Forum post and click on CTRL-V to put the image where you want it.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=63

The first item sounds very much like a teat-fire cartridge, but pictures would definitely help with both of these.

herky

I’m positive that your first cartridge is a teatfire, possibly without a bullet.

Go to the Home Page. On the left, click on Ammunition Glossary. Scroll down to Teatfire Cartridge and see if that’s it.

A photo of both, especially the second, will help.

Ron

Where the heck is CTRL-V ??? I copy and paste from Photobucket. Am I doing it wrong ???

Ray

Ray–No, your just doing extra work. CTRL-V (Press and hold CTRL, then press V) is on your keyboard. It is the shortcut for “Paste”. CTRL-C is the shortcut for “Copy”.

Ron

Thanks for that little trick. I have a feeling there other things about my PC that I’m not aware of. ;) ;)

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Ron

Thanks for that little trick. I have a feeling there other things about my PC that I’m not aware of. ;) ;)

Ray[/quote]

Ray, it took 4 weeks to realise that my computer had a grenade holder on it…

Simon

Ahhh So ! That’s what that tray is for.

Ray

Armourer,
Please pardon my nosiness, but what’s in this familiar looking red and yellow cartridge boxes on the shelf in the lower right of your picture of that handy grenade holder.

Ray–I’m sure there are lots of unknown PC tricks. I have been working with computers since 1965 and I STILL find out new things about my PC all the time.

Here is a picture of the cartridges Herky tried to describe. He sent them to me for posting. As can be seen, the first item, as has been guessed by others is a .32 National Teatfire (Round Tit).

Based on the measurements provided, it would appear the second cartridge is an early outside lubed .38 Long Colt that has had the bullet trimmed down.

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Armourer,
Please pardon my nosiness, but what’s in this familiar looking red and yellow cartridge boxes on the shelf in the lower right of your picture of that handy grenade holder.[/quote]

Empty Kynoch boxes. :-)

Thanks to all who helped me identify the two items. This is a great site! Now I know the item in question is in fact a cartridge and not just some miscellaneous piece of metal. The Teatfire on closer exam does have a grey looking ball inside it. I don’t think I will probe around on that.
Thanks also to the moderator for the hints with posting fotos. Will have to screw up my courage and skills and try that. I have also an old rifle leaf site that I would like to know more about so will try that as a photo soon.
Thanks again