Need help in identification of cartridges

Hello.

First time that i found cartridges with such marks,
Can someone help in identification of them by saying 1:To what gun they belong ,2: Year of production and 3: Who manufactures them?

All i know is that 2 of the big cartridges were probably manufactured at 1942,1941 but the small one i have no idea.

Thanks ahead for the help.

1. 7.62x39mm made in 1970 but I have no idea who made it.
  2. 7.9x57mm made in 1941 by Polte in Germany.
  3. .303 British Mk II tracer made in 1942 by Kynoch in the UK (specifically their factory in Yeading).

The first information given for each is the calibre designation and this will help you learn what weapons used them. None are specific to a particular weapon and were used in several weapons (including aircraft guns in the case of #2 and #3).

1 Like

?DEFECATION? I know that people who don’t have English as their First Language do have difficultues, but I Think IDENTIFICATION is the correct term.
DEF***** refers to a natural bodily
function…!
The Arabic headstamp on the 7.62x39 is written (wrongly) Right to Left. Some may correct me on this…
The German cartridge is a brass (S*) case, sS heavy projectile type.
The Kynock cartridge has been used in a rifle, probably misfired the first time, and rechambeted and struck again…off centre double-strike…
Where found??? MIDDLE EAST,
ISRAEL???

Doc AV

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information and for fixing my misspelling,
English aint my main as you probably noticed and i just didnt notice of making the mistake although i’m aware of the right form of writing identification ^_^’.

And yes indeed, I found them in Israel on former British base(British Mandatory) .

Hi, the 7.62mmx39 has standard Syrian military markings, with pictures of a complete one below.

1 Like

The „auy“ was made by Polte, Plant Grüneberg.
They made that year only ammunition for the German air force.
Your case is from a fired B-Patrone.
Add for you a picture from the cartridge and the box for this lot number.

DSC_0001
auy%2041-12%20B%20Patronen

Rgds

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and pictures. I would never guess it’s Syrian considering the place where i found it.Would be nice if it was complete as on picture :)

1 Like

Interesting, Thanks for the info and provided pictures.

Alex, Israel is the perfect place to find all three of those cases. The British .303 could have been brought in to pre-Israel Palestine during or after WWII, or captured from the Egyptians or Jordanians; the German 7.92 could have arrived any time after 1945 via Czechoslovakia or other European sources; and the IDF has brought back tons of Syrian ammo from Lebanon, the Golan, and Syria itself. Lots has been used in training. I myself became a cartridge collector in Israel, in the 1980s, when I spent my weekends hiking around an IDF training area.

2 Likes

Hello Jonny,
Thanks for the information,Some parts i wasnt aware about as that “IDF has brought back tons of Syrian ammo from Lebanon, the Golan, and Syria itself” and that it was used for training here ,although it sounds very logical to happen :).
I love to hike in free time in desert areas and usually find lots of interesting stuff including all kind of cartridges and even musket lead bullets, so I tought it be good idea to start collecting them for fun. Just too bad i rarely find complete cartridges from WW1-WW2 times with the head and gunpowder,

Most of the “live” rounds I used to find seemed to be dropped and later crushed under passing vehicles. I also found lots of interesting cartridges during my “Handasah” time and as my area Ra"Bash.

1 Like

Israeli Capture of Huge Weapons & Ammunition Stockpile, 1982.pdf (2.4 MB)

Crates of ammo-

2 Likes

Wow, Thanks for sharing very interesting.