Need Help To ID A Strange Shell (Done:M82 Percussion Primer)

Hello,

I’ve stumbled upon your what appears to be a sophisticated community that really knows a thing or two about ammo, and also upon this odd shell that I was hoping you guys could help me identify.
It looks similar to a 410 gauge, but shorter and has a full brass casing.

I’ve tried searching for possible matches but couldn’t find anything anywhere. Either way, here it is:

I’ve included all possible information I could think of and a comparison image with common rounds.
Weighs about as much as the 7.62 nato.

Ankh,

Welcome to the Forum!

What you have there is an M82 Artillery Primer for large guns that use separately loaded ammunition (no complete cartridge).

Check out this earlier thread for some more information:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12173

Dave

Ankh

Here’s a primer that has been fired, showing how the “petals” open. This one is a little different in that it can be fired either percussion or electrically. Primers of this type are usually used in seperate-loading ammunition (as DaveE said) where the charge is in a bag rather than a brass or steel case. The primer is inserted in the breech block, or lock, and so they are often referred to by Artillerymen as “lock primers”.

Thanks to you both for the enlightenment.

EDIT: And to the ones underneath my post

They can also be ‘combination’ lock primers, meaning they can be fired electrically or percussion. I recall an incident where I felt sorry for my Right Gun Captain as he attempted to hook his lanyard up to the lock on a loaded 16" gun! I do know that we made numerous attempts to fire electrically, so we were going to try percussion. The Gun Captain finally had to reprime. I am positive it was Desert Storm, though. Cheers!

Ankh

To complete the loop, primers used in brass or steel cases are called - ready for this - Case Primers. Both Case Percussion and Case Combination. They are usually bigger than lock primers because they have to ignite the entire propelling charge. Lock primers usually only ignite a small charge of black powder in the base of the bag which, in turn, ignites the main charge.

Ray