Need help to ID projectiles from 37 to 61mm

I recently got a small lot of projectiles from a friend and I don’t have much clue of the bigger stuff. Can someone please help me identify the caliber and gun?

1. 37mm, body diameter 36.3mm, driving band dia. 37.8mm. Height with fuze 94.7mm.
    Hole on body looks original, fuze is brass. No markings visible.

1. 37mm, body diameter 36.4mm, height 92.2mm. Markings on base.

1. 42mm?, body dia. 41.5mm, driving band dia. 43.05mm, height with brass fuze or cap, 143mm. Logo on top of fuze.

Argentinas Navy used a Nordenfelt cannon in 42mm, designation was N-42 L33.25 E.I.

Could this be for it?

1. 47mm, Body dia. 46.5mm, height 164/165mm. Markings on base and body.

Argentina used a Vickers Armstrong “economical tube” , a Hotchkiss cannon and a Bethlehem cannon…

1. 57mm, body dia. 56.4mm, height 214/215mm. Markings on base.

Argentina used 5 different Nordenfelt cannons and one Hotchkiss

1. 61mm, body dia. 60.4mm, height 233/235mm. Markings, “N” on body.

Argentina used a Nordenfelt cannon in 61mm.

Ok, so if anyone can provide ID, pictures, shell dimension, color codes, anything, I’d VERY grateful.

Best Regards,

Fernando

The hole in the nose of the first item strongly suggests it was an incendiary shell, used for attacking hydrogen-filled artillery spotting balloons or airships.

This 37mm has been made into a CIGAR CUTTER. These were offered in several Bannerman catalogues. A plunger with a sharp bottom - spring loaded alligned with that hole. You stuck in the cigar tip and tapped. They were usually mounted in the center of an ashtray. I will post a photo next I see one. I have had several of these over the years.

CSA, it does not look like it is the device you mention, the hole looks to small. It’s outer dia. is 13.5mm and the inner smaller part is only 7.9mm, I think it is quite narrow for a cigar. Plus the curvature of the projectile…But again, I am the one who is asking because I don’t know.

The French made an incendiary 37mm projectile with four holes around the nose, a bit smaller than the one shown in the pic above. It burned in flight, which must have looked quite spectacular.

If it is a cigar cutter, there should presumably be some means of operating a blade inside it.

Here’s the Bannerman Catalog “CIGAR CUTTER” CSAEOD was referencing.

[quote=“slick rick”]Here’s the Bannerman Catalog “CIGAR CUTTER” CSAEOD was referencing.
[/img][/quote]

I can’t see the image.

[quote=“Tony Williams”]The French made an incendiary 37mm projectile with four holes around the nose, a bit smaller than the one shown in the pic above. It burned in flight, which must have looked quite spectacular.

If it is a cigar cutter, there should presumably be some means of operating a blade inside it.[/quote]

You are WAY OFF on this. The cutter is MISSING. I don’t have my Bannerman handy but someone will put the illustration up. It is a fairly common “rarity” in the US maybe not so much where you are. The projectile is usually loose from the balance of the device and leads to wonder. I have only ever seen 1 complete unit in 50 years but have seen many of the projectiles.

Here you have a chrome plated version:
andersonmilitaria.com/images … Cutter.jpg

They were very popular after WWI.

[quote=“EOD”]Here you have a chrome plated version:
andersonmilitaria.com/images … Cutter.jpg

They were very popular after WWI.[/quote]

Yes that is the simple version with a bit of extra “trenching”. Thank you.

I cannot see the picture either slickrick.

So I got some pictures from Argentinas Naval Museum that might help. The 42mm cannon is a Nordenfelt. I hope it rings a bell to someone.

Well, thanks CSA and EOD, I can see it now! Those bastards who spoiled ammo…
Unfortunately I still don’t know to which case to match it…

Now, the 47mm projectile, I got some pictures of a Nordenfelt cannon. And some pictures displaying ammunition for the Nordenfelt cannons, a match to the projectile. But the case on that display matches the 47x376R Hotchkiss L40 Naval 3pdr, so I am confused now. (Numbers 4 and 5 from the display)
Somebody?

The cannon was not to be seen but the same happens with the 57mm.
The Nordenfelt display case matches to 57x306R Hotchkiss. (The one below the 47mm)

[quote=“Fernando”]4) 47mm, Body dia. 46.5mm, height 164/165mm. Markings on base and body.

Argentina used a Vickers Armstrong “economical tube” , a Hotchkiss cannon and a Bethlehem cannon…

[/quote] This is a British - made by EOC