Need help with ID old revolver case

Please, help me to ID this old case and, if possible, find info about designer (or Patent #) and weapons for this caliber

Looks like a 442 CF

Might even have been a blank because the crimp is not shot out and there is no indication of pressure on the primer. but a blank in that calibre is odd. Not altogeather impossible because a lot of old revolvers were used by school masters etc in the past well beyond the operational life of the revolvers as school starting pistols before the present laws caught up with them.

Many (most) school masters in Britain years ago at the better schools were ex Army officers who bought their revolvers when they joined the army aged 18. and kept them in later life

Vince: I’m unfamiliar with European practice, but blanks were much used in the U.S. in the late 19th century to accustom horses to the noise made by firearms. Blanks in American military handgun calibers of the period are very common and fired cases show up at sites of previous military activity. I do think your comment about the crimp is valid. Jack

I think that It’s a 450 Adams Mk II Brass base

Despite having a Colt New Service chambered for .455 Eley, I’m not that familiar with the Brit rounds. That said, the length is around .70", which seems to bring it in the realm of either the Adams or the Webley. The thin extractor rim is similar to those. I can’t but help noticing that the bottom of the letters are touching the primer, whereas there is a noticeable space betwixt the top of the letters and the rim. This leads me to the conclusion that the primer pocket has been bored out (probably from Berdan) to accept what appears to be a shotgun primer, which could end up being a cheap re-loadable alternative, to what was mentioned earlier, for starting/blank pistols. Can’t see the inside of the case, but my guess is that when the original owner couldn’t find blanks anymore, he still had some casings around and used them as described. FWIW, Bruce.

While this cartridge case does have a shotgun type primer, this one is original to the case–the battery cup serves as a rivet to attach the brass base disc to the thimble-like case body. Earlier versions of this design employed a blackened iron base disc. The joint between the bottom of the body proper and the brass disc can be discerned in the side view. Jack

Head dia of a .450" Adams is 12.1 mm rim dia 12.82
.442" 11.33-11.47 hd and 12.4-12.9 rim dia.
Dimensions match the .442".
430 tranter case was also very close.
Eley used the attached rim construction on many ctgs. Have .380, 44 Russ and .450.
.442" was used in Webley RIC revolvers and copies thereof and many other pistols.

May be the scheme of the cartridge can help. Sorry for bad quality of the picture

As per my opinion this is Boxer desighn with separated base, the same which was used for .577 snider. May be I am wrong.