Need more info on this AR-15 ammo

Just as the subject says I know at least that they are AR-15 from what I’ve garnered from the web. I don’t know that much about guns gonna say that up front, but I can’t find a single picture about the configuration I have of these and would like more info.

They must be 30+ years old. The only print I can see on them is “BWN ASSY 11010483” which I think is just the classification for AR-15?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Links if images don’t show up above:
img200.imageshack.us/i/photo0186x.jpg/
img340.imageshack.us/i/photo0188u.jpg/

Romdream-I’m not surer what you did , but as you can see your images did not come through. How did you try to post the images? Once I know what you did I will be able to tell you what you need to do to correct the posting of images.

They are clips for 5.56x45 NATO so that the ammo can be quickly loaded into the mags. Someone may be able to tell you about the manufacturer/date.

Here’s the pics for you:

Edited: Ok that’s weird. The links work find but not when used as “[img}{/img]” code.

Often times web hosts block hot linking of images on other sites than theirs

rom

That’s a standard magazine loading strip (clip) for 5.56x45 ammunition. I have that exact same clip.

Are you trying to find out what the clip is, or what the cartridges are? The cartridges will have markings on the base, such as L C 7 2, or something like that. Tell us what they say and we can help ID them.

How come your photo account has “Show Low” ads on it? I’m in Linden.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]rom

That’s a standard magazine loading strip (clip) for 5.56x45 ammunition. I have that exact same clip.

Are you trying to find out what the clip is, or what the cartridges are? The cartridges will have markings on the base, such as L C 7 2, or something like that. Tell us what they say and we can help ID them.

How come your photo account has “Show Low” ads on it? I’m in Linden.

Ray[/quote]

Ray
The page is reading your IP address, than posting ads “targeted” for that area (same ad but with the location changed)

Bob

That occured to me but I thought, “No way”. So we are not safe anywhere??

Ray

Is that box the clips came in Vietnam era ? I think I recall that the box is an early type.

Very likely, like I said they are probably about 35+ years old, as I had gotten them from my grandpa’s house soon after he passed away several years ago. He had no guns at the time but he did have those cartridges. He was a part of the Air Corp. He flew everything as he transported planes around. He got sick right before WW2 so he never went. He could have obtained this gun later though.
After talking to my mom it’s also possible my uncle could have gotten these, as he fought in Vietnam in the Navy as a signalman.

Also it is not clear to me if it is possible to remove them from the clips, I have tried; the “BWN ASSY 11010483” is the ONLY text visible (It is along the bottom of the clip attachment itself). I can’t see the bottom of the rounds.

I’ve made an account and re-uploaded images onto Imageshack to facilitate better viewing. :) Links Below:
img40.imageshack.us/i/photo0188t.jpg/
img30.imageshack.us/i/photo0186t.jpg/

Thanks very much for your replies so far.
Also one more thing, I’m pretty sure they aren’t worth anything as they are, but I suppose they don’t even have any real “antique” value either, correct? I’m doing this mostly out of curiosity.

Rom
There are 2-3 things that retain the cartridges in the stripper clips. Not being familiar with yours, you may not have all of them.

1. small tab on the end that gets bent out of the way when the rounds are stripped. This tab is what is probably giving you the biggest problem.
  2. snug fit between the rolled sides and the cartridge rim
  3. flat spring inside the stripper that keeps pressure on the cartridges.

How they were used is that the stripper is mounted in the guide (either part of the rifle, or a accessory piece for loading magazines. Than, thumb pressure on the top cartridge is used to push all the cartridges off all at once. Once you slide/pull one round out the end of the clip, the rest should come off easier.

I found these photos of stripper usage on the web.
First photo shows a stripper, magazine and the adapter for a AR-15 / M-16 type rifle magazine

2nd photo shows the rounds being fed into the magazine

More images and directions available from where I borrowed those from
aaconsult.com/ammoreview/htm … clips.html

I think the number -11010483- is the standardisation code for the clip, since in my modest collection of 5,56 mm clips I have two of the same type, but stamped “ggg ASSY 11010483” and "GGG ASSY 11010483"
I am not absolutely sure, but the cartridges once sitting in them were from either IMI or RUAG I think. The swiss (Thun) RUAG FMT buys are in plastic stripper clips.
Soren