Need opinion on unusual 357 mag with four staked primer

Recently an inquiry (to Federal) was made regarding a 357 magnum with a staked in primer. This round with
a 158 grain FMJ bullet was made in 1978 only. I have an original box with shells. This loading did not appear in any of their catalogs. No FMJ loadings of a 357 mag. have been done since. Unfornunatly, there is no existing
data as to what kind of a contract this was done for. The round has four slash like stakes at 90 degrees about the primer, whereas the original rounds have none. Checking with several long term employees, no one has
ever seen this form of a staked primer ever being done by Federal. The question arises as to whether this was
ever done at Federal at all or was done after market. Also was this a military or some unknown govt. contract?
The round in question does not appear to be a reload. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed.

My 2¢ is home made,

Why such a long crimp, & then it’s not very well lined up, or even exactly at 90º so if by a machine or a multi-faced tool using one strike it’s sloppy.

Using a long tool like this by hand is very difficult unless you have a jig to position each strike perfectly, If not you see the faults seen here. Were it a short tool of about 1/3 or less in length the position and the straightness would not be so apparent. And a tool of that length would do the work just as well.

That the depth seems even, I have no answer. But it seems to be over kill to use such a long tool.

The color on the bullet also seems hand done.

Is it a Federal bullet? The profile looks different than the original on the left.

Also the primer looks rounder, & not quite at flat as the original.

Is it actually a crimp? Can’t tell if metal was displaced enough to crimp the primer in place. Maybe an ID mark?