Need photo of Gilbert Hoxie

I have thoroughly scoured the internet with no luck, and I am wondering if anyone has a photo of Gilbert Hoxie? He was the original owner of the Hoxie bullet co and he died in 1913 at age 35.

Just so you will know your request was not ignored, I searched the three little articles I had in my file about Hoxie bullets, plus the only IAA article that appeared on them, found from Chris Punnett’s great index, plus several books on arms and ammunition people, to no avail. Sorry my search proved fruitless.

Thanks much for the effort. I’m not too surprised that his image is not very widespread since he died at such a young age, and at a time when photographs were something of an effort to produce and partake in.

I’m not sure you can blame the photographic process for not having a photo. Samuel F. B. Morse (of Telegraph fame) had one of the first/earliest daguerrotype cameras ca. 1839 here in the U.S. However the George Eastman’s KODAK camera was patented in 1888 and flexible film (as opposed to glass plates) was ca. 1889. By the early 1900’s photography was relatively common and available. “You push the button and we do the rest” was an early Kodak slogan for the amatur photographer.

Good luck with this one. I went well beyond regular search engines to help you, nothing, zilch. It looks like your only chance is to find immediate family.

Found the house he lived in, and a news paper mentioning his name… but no picture. Is there even a picture of his ammunition factory out there?

Steve

According to the Chicago historical society’s archives, there is a photo of Gilbert with his mother and brother, but he’s only 17 approximately in that one. I can live without the photo, it has just become a quest because I usually don’t get stumped like this. I was hoping for the proud looking portrait photo of a guy with a beard sort of.

DK-Have you contacted George Kass. If anyone has information on the company or possibly a picture, it will be George. Email me if you need his email or Phone Number.

Also, have you tried the Chicago Library? The factory was located in Chicago so they may have some information. The Chicago Library has an excellent genealogy deptartment so that might be a good place to try.

Beard like that?

HA! That must be him!

Steve