Need some advise

I got these from my grandparents house and I would like to know if these are old enough to be collectible or if I should/could shoot them instead. Any information would be appreciated.

On the back of the boxes or inside the end-flaps are probably stamped a series of letters and numbers. If you will edit your post to list the number/letter combinations for each box we may be able to let you know of the year the boxes were loaded.

My initial reaction is that none of the boxes are particularly rare or valuable, but I am not a collector of these calibers so don’t take this as a definitive valuation.

Whether they are valuable or not, recommend you offer them on GunBroker.com, an online auction, with no reserve price and see what they will bring. Note that there are a LOT of overpriced items in the Collector Ammo on GunBroker.com, an online auction. Some that has been offered for 2 years or longer, that never gets a bid. Don’t fall into the trap of pricing your items at the level of other items that have not gotten a bid.

Thanks for your posting.

Cheers,
Lew

All of these items are mid-1930’s. None are rare or particularly valuable, but all are collectible and, in my opinion, should NOT be shot. I agree with Lew above about what to do with them.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advise. I am a collector of several other items so when I found these I figured that I should find out before passing them on. I would assume these are the #'s you are speaking of.

I also have this one that was given to me by a friend of the family when I was young.

The code on the Remington 22 box looks like G24C which is the 24th of some month in the first half of 1933. The “C” is a letter from a 6 leter code word that identifies the actual month, but that code word changed each year and I have never heard of anyone knowing what they are.

The code on the Winchester box should be printed inside the end flaps.

Cheers,
Lew

For the Remington .22 box, the code looks to me like G25C. If so, G is likely to be 1944 (that box style was not used until 1940, maybe slightly earlier), and C is likely to be April, therefore, I’d bet 25 April 1944. The other cartridge appears to be a fired .30-'06 military case made at the Lake City Ordnance Plant (LC) in 1942, with a non-military bullet seated into the case. It would be hard to date the shotshells, but they are probably all pre-WWII. The .32 S&W box is from the mid-1930s. The Winchester .22 box would probably be 1939 - 1941 period (I doubt wartime brass would have been nickeled). As stated, there is no great value associated with them but they are interesting to have around as mementos of that time.

The LC 42 case is a .50 Browning MG; the bullet is probably the original, removed and reinserted. Jack

The LC 42 case is definitely .50 Browning MG length.