Need some ID help


Hello I need some ID help with these bullets
8mm diameter
22mm length


Less than 1 mm? Are you sure they’re projectiles?


If you compare the diameter to the 22mm length, it is obvious that he meant 8mm not 0.8mm.


yes sorry guy’s I mean 8mm


Whats the material?


I trust Harrie’s word and don’t try to second-guess him!!! ;)


Vince/ Jonnyc

The material is magnetic



Magnetic, wow! that raises the stakes a bit. I was assuming you were going to say turned brass. My original thought was that they were somebody’s lunchtime project in the machine shop but now I’m not so sure what they are for.


Just a SWAG, but die/mold locator pins?


I have the same “bullets” but in different diameters.
It`s soft steel.
Have no idea what it is.

Regards 451kr.


not sure but looks like they could be oilwell downhole slugs for a perforating gun .


I was thinking some kind of penetrator for a sabotted projectile, but the soft steel doesn’t sound right.


Just thinking aloud, 8mm would be about right for the inner core of something encased in copper or lead outer to bring it up to nominal .357". In which case the “grease grooves” could be to provide more grip for the lead.

As jonnyc suggested, some sort of homemade AP type of thing?. If it was a home workshop project the maker might not have the facilities to turn anything harder.

The ones in the original post look like they have been subjected to quite a high heat which could mean oil quenching to harden them or it could be they were preheated prior to some casting operation to prevent the lead alloy freezing against the cold metal.

Or it could be they are mold locating pins designed to be set into the bottom half of some sort of casting process before the top half of the mold gets poured on top and totally unrelated to guns or ammo. The profile of the pin part would be about right for that theory.

Anyway its all pure conjecture, I guess we will never know for sure


In looking around, I found some similar profile pins, used to align parts.
One was made of wood (middle in photo), and except for the lack of grooves, has a very similar profile. It is used in aligning table tops (removable leaf’s). Often metal inserts, designed to be pressed into wood, are grooved to provide “bite” (pull out resistance).

Another, metal one, has a somewhat similar profile, and is used for fixture alignment.