Netherlands ammunition box

Little confused on this metal ammunition box. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Netherlands is part of NATO. Are they not supposed to conform to certain specs on ammunition box size?
Also IVI 1996 made 5.56mm NATO shipped from the RNA to Bosnia?

Joe

PA280004PA280008PA280006

1 Like

Nice box you got.

About shipping to Bosnia, is the receiver a Ducth unit based in Bosnia at the time?

Good question. Another question is why is most of the information in English?

Joe

I suspect that the reason most of the information was in English
has to do with NATO, and perhaps that the ammo was made by
IVI in Canada. Just a WAG.

John Moss

John,

Sounds good to me. I think you thought me French was once the universal language and now English. Not referring to NATO however.

Anyways, are they not supposed to conform to certain specs on ammunition box size also?

Joe

I didn’t think box sizes had to be within any spec. We have many different sizes here in Norway. I will start another thread on other kind of boxes used by Norway when I finish the .50 cal boxes.

MEN in Germany produced .303 cartridges for the Netherlands in 1988, using exactly the same type of box (holding 560 cartridges) also with English langage markings.
I am not aware of any STANAG regarding ammunition boxes.
I think the Dutch boxes are very convenient to carry. Large, stable handles and not too heavy. If you put one box on top of another, they “lock” together without danger of the top box easily sliding off. Patronenkasten 88 is a nightmare in comparison.

The Dutch box you could run it over with a Duce and a half and it would be fine. It is even stronger than the US 25 cartridge 20mm boxes. AND you can adjust the lit for tension. Outstanding quality box. It will also accept a wire seal.

What I understand from the labels is that this ammo box, ordered by the Dutch army in Canada was shipped by the army distribution centre in Assen to a Dutch unit (Dutchbat) that was stationed in Busovaka in Bosnie/Hercegovina.

Will try to find out more over the Dutch Forum

Rgds

Correct me if I am wrong, you are saying this ammunition was made in Canada by IVI and shipped to the Netherlands? If so, was it shipped in these containers that were made in the Netherlands or was it repackaged in these metal ammo boxes once it arrived in the Netherlands? In other words, were these metal containers shipped to Canada to be filled there or where were they filled and labeled with the IVI information?

Joe

The German Army is usnig this box design for many decades (20mm up) in various sizes. They are water tight and basically undestroyable.

Dutch (used) ammunition comes with full English markings for decades already.

Joe - at one time, French was more the Universal Language
than was English. I think that WWII pretty much ended that.
Last I knew, and this is old information and may be different now,
is that French was still the international Postal language, meaning
if the Postmaster of a city in the USA wanted to contact that of a
city in Germany, he was supposed to do so in French. Again, that
may be changed also now. Like it or not, English is truly the major
language of international communication.

John Moss

Joe - if the question about who packed the IVI ammunition into those cans,
I have no idea. I have almost zero interest in ammunition cans, other than
to hold ammo and empty brass for reloading. However, the "IVI markings on
those cans look like something that would have been done at or for the
factory and country actually manufacturing the ammunition. No idea who
made the cans themselves.

John M.

Hi Joe,

I can add that “AVPL KL 5” stand for “Aanvullingsplaats” (official translation is “supplementary place”) and “Klass V” (Class 5), which is the class number assigned to ammunition by the Dutch Ministry of Defence. Below, it reads “1 DUTCHBAT NL”, that was the name assigned to the 1(NL) VN Infanteriebataljon, a Dutch battalion under the command of the United Nations. Their NATO Post Office code was NAPO 80.

Regards,

Fede

On the Dutch forum a member answered the question.

This particular box, model #130 was made in 1979 by Diepenbroek & Reigers N.V. in Ulft, Netherlands.
These boxes were shipped empty to Canada and filled there with the .223 ammunition.
There was a 12 years contract with SNC Technologies (IVI) and these boxes were when empty reused again.

dutch,

Very good!

Thank You.

Joe

Fede, thank you.

Joe

To sum it all up:

Box model #130 made in 1979 by Diepenbroek & Reigers N.V. in Ulft, Netherlands.
These boxes were shipped empty to Canada and filled there with the 5.56mm NATO ammunition. There was a 12 years contract with SNC Technologies (IVI) and these boxes were when empty reused again.

White label basically says this ammo box was shipped by the Dutch army distribution centre in Assen to a Dutch unit (Dutchbat) that was stationed in Busovaka in Bosnie/Hercegovina.

It can be added that “AVPL KL 5” stand for “Aanvullingsplaats” (official translation is “supplementary place”) and “Klass V” (Class 5), which is the class number assigned to ammunition by the Dutch Ministry of Defence. Below, it reads “1 DUTCHBAT NL”, that was the name assigned to the 1(NL) VN Infanteriebataljon, a Dutch battalion under the command of the United Nations. Their NATO Post Office code was NAPO 80.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Joe

Sorry Joe, I did not want to make a new discussion.

I was in the Dutch army in 1973. At this time the .303 was obsolete.
Why do you think the MEN were made for the Netherlands?

To my Information it was an order from the Republic of Ireland.
They were made in boxes of 20 and 56 rounds

The “Overflow” of this order was sold to the BDMP, (a shooters organisation in Germany)

Dutch, this is a Dutch contract box for Bren machine guns and it shows NOV (Nummer Onderlinge Verwisselbaarheid) number 17-A103. Here is a picture of the Nr. 130 box for 560 rounds:

Regards,

Fede