Never thought to become a shareholder

I never thought to become a “shareholder” but could not resist on this one:

Tula copper mill and cartridge factories, 1906 (2nd issue)

Congrats, Alex,
Now since you are such an important person in Tula, where do 187 rubles and 50 kopeks place you in Tula’s rank of importance scheme? Can you at least get a tour of the grounds?

Back in 1906 the sum of 187.5 Roubles was a fortune.
If I was correctly informed the Russian govt. decided back in 1917 that this document is only as good as toilet paper.
Except for people like us…

Just checked, the value is also given in German marks.

Taking that sum of 405 Marks and compare it to salaries of 1906 this would be like 4.4 to 6.6 monthly salaries.
Means that should have been a nice sum back then.

Very neat collectible item. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting. I have a couple of French stock certificates from ammo companies, and wish I have more varieties. I once tried to buy one share each in several American companies, but couldn’t find a stock broker who would handle my petty purchase. All I wanted was the certificates. That was years ago. I have had my French ones for just about as long as I can remember.

Gee! a very nice Tula share certificate!!! I still have a Cartoucherie-Russo-Belge, Moscow one…, but tht’s all…

An interesting point is that after the fall of USSR, Boris Yeltsine made an effort to please the Westerners (or their heirs…) who had been often ruined by the Bolchevik decision to refuse to fulfill their obligations concerning the enormous amount of money lent to the Russian Tsarist Governement…
Even to-day, when you speak here about “Les Emprunts Russes” (or Russian Founds"), everybody laughs… (well, not so much, anyway…).

So, people still legitimately detaining Russian shares in the end of the 80ies were entitled to get back a value of 5 French Francs (i.e. circa one US $) for one share, within the limit of 500 hundred certificates, legally owned, verification being made by a broker or notary… Of course, there was no relation with their original value…, but otherwise, the new Russian State, or “C.E.I.” would have been totally broke and bankrupted at once!

Another funny point in this story is that the famous share certificates were mostly sold for years as antique old papers in flea-markets for approximately half-a-dollar a kilo…! and nobody wanted them!

Most of this shares, very well-designed, on high-quality paper, had a certain artistic value… even if most were quite dusty having been kept and forgotten in attics for 70 years… (except for somme people I know who flatly decorated their toilets with them, as an original paperwall !).

As far as I am concerned, I strongly regret not to have kept some of them from my grandfather heritage, not for their value, but just to frame in my den!!!

Useless to say, if you want to buy some of these shares to-day in Antiquaries, you’ll have to pay the price for them…!

Cheers!!!

PR

Another one: DWM from 1936

Here’s another to “share” July 5, 1939.
No idea if Abram E. Bennett and Mrs. Evelyn Bennett were related to Mr. T. G. Bennett of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
At least, I couldn’t easily find any connection.

Looks like everyone has a favorite …
My one:

I am suffering from having too many favourites…

Krupp bond of 1908

Rheinmetall share of 1928

SFM of 1920: