New .223 projectile from Franklin Armory

So it’s basically a solid copper Nerf football (stabilizing fins and everything) that can be loaded into a standard .223 or 5.56 case.

The purpose is to provide an accurate way to take advantage of a Minesweeper gymnastics level of a loophole regarding their new rifle, which is basically a short barreled rifle without the tax stamp, but with a standard AR style stock as opposed to stabilizing brace. The catch: the rifling is STRAIGHT (hence the need for fin stabilization)

For those unfamiliar with US firearms law, this is similar to a Russian “shotgun” that was able to circumvent laws in Russia regarding semi auto rifles.

More at this link with pictures (posting from mobile phone):

It’s sort of a gimmicky way to sell a disproportionately high percentage of your own brand of ammo to go with the rifle since any other ammo won’t work correctly with it. Despite being a tantalizing “SBR without a tax stamp”, I wonder if this firearm will go the way of the Intrepid RAS-12 with its proprietary (and pricey) 12ga shells. Meanwhile, it is still much less expensive and with more flexible options for a person who is not worried about the law to just purchase any of the endless number of 8” or 10” uppers out there for AR’s, and just keep it handy for their lower. Not legal, but not really enforceable either unless you parade around with the complete gun, not that SBR owners don’t already do that on Facebook all the time.

Especially at $2,000 for a rifle to shoot it. There’s a fantastic(ly embarrassing) interview with one of Franklin Armory’s people out there where they are asked how accurate it is. “Oh, 4 MOA at 50 yards”

Even Ian at Forgotten Weapons was dragging them through the dirt:

Forgotten

Oh gees, Im just seeing all of that fallout now - it is eveywhere in gun blog world, and it is universally bad. The gun costing well over what it costs to get a decent SBR even with a tax stamp, but having the serious accuracy issue. That poor guy from Franklin was not prepared for an interview speaking engagement at range day.

Here is a larger photo showing the solid copper .224 projectile which reminds people of a nerf football.

Thanks for posting the video and pictures, work has been hectic and it’s difficult from mobile!

I cannot see this catching on. I did read in a short interview that FA had an ammunition manufacturer they were working with who was taking on all development and design. This still seems like a very outdated design for a fin stabilized projectile.

This is hilarious.

If it were more appropriate for the forum, I would post all of the memes that have come about because of this

I will leave the door a tiny bit open to success since we have seen things be mercilessly lampooned before online, and then gone on to make millions, e.g. Hornady Zombie Max ammo. Boxes of ammo are cheap though, this thing is expensive.

One of my co-workers just bought a box of zombiemax for kicks and giggles funny enough…

I think starting price is $2,000 with the binary trigger, so maybe $1,600 for the base model? I think their cheapest are starts at $1,000 for a very basic gun.

The biggest question is how much these projectiles and loaded cartridges will cost. Will they require special reloading tools? Do they need an aggressive crimp?

Ok, So what I want to know is where can you buy this ammo?

Zac

Don’t think there’s any word on that yet. Franklin Armory has said they will sell it, but no clue whether the ammo company who is making it for them will release it to other vendors

Oh boy face palm this looks like it aughta go up like the Hindenberg.

The bullets look neat though. Useless but neat.

-CBA

I want one, sectioned :) @wolfganggross