New 7.62x51 Chinese headstamp?

I am not sure if anyone updates these on the main list. The last one I posted is not up yet. Or is there a formal process?

Ammo is Chinese 7.62x51 Berdan primed with gilding jacket

Chinese 5.56 m193&m855
7.62x51 headstamp

Are you sure it’s Chinese? Nothing about this cartridges says “Chinese” to me.

Primer crimp, primer seal color, headstamp and case material are not typical Chinese.

Probably CIS Singapore with “JH” being a date code?

AKMS

I believe that is from Singapore, and that the “JH” is a date code, possibly for 2008, not really a new headstamp.

These are Chinese if I wasn’t totally mislead, had such ones as .223 and also got one as a key hanger with other Chinese cartridges. Have to dig them up and will tell the hs later on.

Known headstamp. Chartered Industries, Singapore. Now called Singapore Technology Kinetics. As stated JH is a date code for 2008.
Codes seen starting with G, H and J.
Codes are:
Code: A=1,B=2,C=3,D=4,E=5,
F=6,G=7,H=8,I=9, J=20 (beginning of 2000 year series) 0=0, N = Unknown

This chinese cartridge generates some confusion because it uses what it looks like a Singapore letter code. However, headstamps from Singapore doesn’t have a top above letter “J” and primer cup is annealed (both have Berdan primer and green primer annulus).

If someone finds a similar headstamp with no top above letter “J” it will be a product of Chartered Industries of Singapore Pte. Ltd. and made in 1998 (in 2000 was acquired by Singapore Technologies to form Singapore Technologies Kinetics Ltd.).

JA = 1991

This is my compilation of Singapore “abecedary” codes 1967-2009:

20th century codes (CIS, 1967-1970):

FG: 1967 (contract made by ICI/Kynoch)
FH: 1968 (contract made by ICI/Kynoch)
FI: 1969 (also found in boxes from 1968)

20th century codes (CIS, 1971-1979):

GA: 1971 (also found in boxes from 1970)
GB: 1972
GC: 1973
GD: 1974
GE: 1975
GF: 1976
GG: 1977
GH: 1978
GI: 1979

20th century codes (CIS, 1980-1989):

H0: 1980
H1: 1981
HB: 1982
HC: 1983
HD: 1984
HE: 1985
HF: 1986
HG: 1987
HH: 1988
HI: —
HJ: 1989

Codes IA, IB, IC, ID, IE, IF, IG, IH and IJ were not used.

20th century codes (CIS, 1990-1999):

JN: 1990
JA: 1991
JB: 1992
JC: 1993
JD: 1994
JE: 1995
JF: 1996
JG: 1997
JH: 1998
JI: —
JJ: 1999

21th century codes (ST Kinetics, 2000-2009):

NN: 2000
NA: 2001
NB: 2002
NC: 2003
ND: 2004
NE: 2005
NF: 2006
NG: 2007
NH: 2008
NI: ----
NJ: 2009

Headstamp picture by Claudio Plaza from Chile.

Chinese 5.56 m193&m855

Not all J’s on Chinese cartridges have a top. This example is from a key chain. The case is brass. The bunter style for the 7.62 is very similar to that in the original posting and different from the Singapore cartridges in my collection (and the example posted) which all have a straight “7”. In addition, it seems that Singapore does not stake in the primers. The few loaded brass cased Chinese rounds I’ve seen have all had ringed in primers. Based on these observations, I’m not convinced the the cartridge in question from Singapore.

NATO Dave

Fede: Thanks for the correction on my CIS dates, this is great stuff. Now that I go look through my cartridges of both, I also see that the CIS ones, the decimal between the 7.62 is a decimal and the Chinese ones appear to be more of a comma. I have a JH one of “Chinese” Manufacture then as well with the J lined, 3 stab primer and a comma after a curved number 7. I never noticed these differences before. Anyone know why China was using a code the same as Singapore and which factory made these?

Well, this is my second try. Once again, an answer I posted has immediately disappeared from the thread. This one will have to be a lot shorter.

Consider the possibility that both sides are right. That is, that the Chinese-made rounds with the Singapore date codes were made for Singapore. I base this on the incident of a supply of 9 mm Luger ammunition that came in the United States some years ago, after the Clinton ban on Chinese ammunition imports, in boxes over-label with a perfect English-language label saying, among other things, “Made in Singapore.” The ammunition, headstamped 9 x 19 JE, is obviousdly of Chinese manufacture. Under the overlabels, the otherwise plain buff box is stamped in black ink with a less descriptive label, with poor letter spacing and “50 RDS” spell as “SORDS,” obviously a label stamp made by someone with a very limited grasp of the English language.

Two choices - made in China for the use of Singapore and sold bery quickly as surplus for unknown reasons or, made in China, sent to an agent in Singapore to be over-labeled as being “made in Singapore,” and then sent on to the intended, but prohibited to China destination of the United States.

This seems to be more complicated than I thought.

I believe there are also letter coded 7.62 x 51 rounds made in South Africa for Singapore. Does anyone have any information on these?

Yes, Chinese. We bought it from Factory 791 in ChongQing (CJ headstamp is their standard).

Get today a white box with a white sticker on the box which sealed the box. On the label (sticker) is printed in 3 lines ‘20 rounds’
’.308 CMJ’ ‘155gr’. What means CMJ ? The box 4x5 rounds is folded together without using glu or staples. The rounds are brass cased, brass ringed primer with a green p.a. The bullet has a very unuseawell profile, a very fat tip. Under a magnefier the surface is rough.
Delaborate confirm my thought, there is no jacked, it’s a cupper plated lead bullet, 36 grains powder fine sticks and a berdan primer.
Headstamp is “HE 7.62” at 12 and 6°clock. When I get the box it was sealed, all 20 round are the same, looks to me not a reload but cases are clean but not bright. These ctg’s are on the shooting marked. Are these Singapore cartridges with a replaced bullet (tracers) or who else made (change) these ctg’s?
Thank’s, Jan.

Thanks for posting the codes, Fede - very useful!

My research has lead me to the codes being manufactured by three separate countries.
The ones that have letter fonts such as a J with a top on and using a decimal in the caliber such as 5.56 were made by CIS/Singapore Kinetics as Fede states with great detail. The Chinese ones are made with the fonts having no top on and they use a Comma in between the caliber…ex as in 5,56 as opposed to 5.56, again as Fede states. I have boxes of both.
The third maker however turned up from my South African friends who have given me information is that CIS had 5.56mm ammunition made for them under contract by a South African Firm. The South African Firm used the same font as CIS, Singapore but used comma’s in between the 5 and 56 like the Chinese ones did, hence confusing everyone with a few combination styled cartridges. The South African made ones were apparently only on 5,56mm cartridges. I have seen JA and JJ codes thus far on the South African Made ones.
Maybe Dan or Will can post some of these headstamps as mine are fairly poor.