New 9mmP headstamp from Thailand

A friend (Fede from the Forum who should be back on shortly) just sent me a photo of a 9x19mm headstamp I have never heard of.

It was found as part of a bracelet in a Thai gift shop. Data from a Thai shooting range indicates it was loaded by Bullet Master Co. (BMC) of Samutprakarn, Thailand. As far as I know Bullet Master buys all their brass, from S&B and Armscorp and others. I have no idea who made this case.

I’ll bet we know of far less than half of the headstamps made in 9mmP, and the same is probably true of other calibers.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew - very unusual font on the headstamp letters. The headstamp “NANO” appeared on 6.5 x 55 mm rounds, which I believe were made by a Norwegian branch of Norma, although I could be wrong about that. A little out of my field - a shooting cartridge for me big time, but not one I collect - the 6.5 x 55 that is. However, the lettering on those rounds are quite normal. Aside from the serifs on the Thai-found round, the letter forms are strange, the letters being tapered in many places, depending on their shape. Very unusual and quite attractive in an old-fashioned way.

Bullet Master has a way of of ordering special headstamps but doing it only once. Their “normal” headstamp is “BM” and the caliber, which exists on at least .45 and 9 mm, but they didn’t seem to make much ammo with that headstamp, and I think it is quite scarce on both calibers. I believe my 9mm is a fired case, although I replaced a fired case in .45 with a loded one.

I have never seen this version of “NANO” on any caliber. BM mostly reloads other people’s fired brass.

One more to look for, although it is hard to get stuff from that part of the world. I have a few Thai headstamps, most all of which are NUPE or fired cases, and I have never been able to find the Burmese 9 mm headstamp. I had a Burmese headstamp when I collected .303, but it was a NPE case. I think there are Pakistan headstamps we don’t have, either, other than the ones from their National Ammunition Factory (POF).

This is the original email sent to Lew:

"This two coupled cases were found in 2010 in a typical buddhist souvenir street shop in Sukhothai, Thailand. They were transformed in some sort of amulet to avoid being shot (with a firearm). You can actually read some thai characters engraved in the both cases (no year).

The only information I have about this NANO headstamped round is that is was loaded with a 124 grains bullet (this data was obtained from a paper

note found in a shooting range). The crude appearance of THE HEADSTAMP is also similar to some .38 Special cartridges produced by Bullet Master Co. (BMC) of Samutprakarn, Thailand (BMC 38 SPL). I don’t know for sure if a BMC headstamped 9 mm Parabellum round actually exist.

The .223 Remington cut down case is headstamped HH  5.56 and was produced by CIS of Singapore in 1988."

[quote=“JohnMoss”]
The headstamp “NANO” appeared on 6.5 x 55 mm rounds, which I believe were made by a Norwegian branch of Norma, although I could be wrong about that. A little out of my field - a shooting cartridge for me big time, but not one I collect - the 6.5 x 55 that is. [/quote]

I think you mix this with RANO, I have never seen NANO on any Norwegian round. And I’m Norwegian.

PSG1 - I think you are correct. Two of us discussed this and both of us thought we had seen NANO on 6.5 x 55 - I shoot that caliber a lot thru my Swedish Model 94, Model 38, and Model 96
shoulder arms. However, your posting sounds absolutely correct. I apologize to everyone for the error.

This headstamp is confirmed to be sold by Bullet Master of Thailand.

Cheers,

Lew