New cartridge

hello have im my collection a minature 45-70 i thought the members would like to hear about. the story goes it was built @1985 by a micro-machinist from glenwood springs colo. he built the smallest working scaled down 45-70 cartridge then built a to scale gatling gun to fire it. the only thing not to scale is the primer which he built also. the cartridge measurements are: bullet dia .150,case length .705, overall lenght .832, rim dia .202, base dia .165, neck dia .155. have some comparison photos of it standing next to a 45-70 but cant download them. standing next to a 22lr it appears to be half the dia and shorter. thought you would like to know about it and what a man with talent and time on his hands is capable of.

Go here for instructions on how to post pictures on the Forum:

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=63

Thank you Ron Merchant for the help. Following are the images:

I laugh!

That’s a nice piece of work.

The maker may be the same guy (or maybe just another superbly talented craftsman) as the one from the Provo, Utah, area who built a set of several miniature guns- Ager Coffee Mill gun, Gatling and a Hotchkiss (don’t recall if it was the 1 pdr revolving cannon or the mountain howitzer anymore) Possibly there were others he had made, but I only saw these when he brought hteminto a gun show one time to show a friend.

These were also in about that scale range, with rifled bores, and he hand made miniature ammunition as well and had actually fired them. The Hotchkiss had a hinged compartment in the trail for tools, which had, (of course!) the miniature wrenches, etc that belonged there.

Reportedly there was one additional gun that he wanted to make, to complete the “series” but he never got around to it. Bill Ruger (Of Sturm, Ruger) tried to get him to finish the project and apparently wanted to buy the whole lot, but as far as I know the owner kept them all. Not sure if he is still alive any more or what happened to the guns and ammo, but they were truly works of art.

This was NOT Doug Furr, who made the .22 caliber Gatling guns in roughtly the same geographic area. Both, I must point out live about 90 miles south of John M. Browning’s home, so there must be something about the good living out here that inspires firearms makers.