New for 2008/ 2009: New Book: Ammo Encyclopedia, 792 Pages

New Book for the Cartridge Collectors

more information at:
ammo-one.com/AmmoEncyclopedia.html

Very Large, Soft Cover, (8&1/4"by 10&7/8") 792 Pages, 60 Chapters, almost 1,000
New & Obsolete Cartridges, Military & Commercial, Covers cartridges from
.17 Caliber to 700 Caliber in English Units, and 2.34mm to15.2mm in Metric Units, also shot shells.

Shipping Worldwide at www.ammone.com
Thank you,
Dave Call,
A Call to Arms, LLC at: www.ammo-one.com

Bussard works/worked for Federal Cartridge, didn’t he?

I am not sure, he has written a lot of books, some books for the National Rifle Asst. Thank you for your interest, Dave Call, A Call to Arms, LLC
www.ammo-one.com
STAY FREE IN 2009! Join the NRA

Dan,

Yes he did. I think he worked for other firms before that, also. I remember if from my time in the business. We used to know each other, but have not seen him in years, and he probably would have no reason to remember me. I will order this book based on him being the author. I hope I am not disappointed. The last cartridge book I bought was worthless. I suspect that this one will be pretty good as a general work. I remember Mike as knowing his business.

Dave, how does this book compare to COTW?

What calibre cartridges does it go up to?

I have been told better then “Cartridges of the World”, ask Mel Carpenter, he liked it. I honestly haven’t had time to read it in depth, but hope to soon.
Best,
Dave

I just got my copy today. Overall, I am impressed with it.There is a LOT of information not found in your average cartridge book. The first 235 pages are given over to rather through discussions of all the different aspects of commercial production methods and history of the various components with whole chapters on the bullet development, propellents. primers, etc. There are MANY cartridges I have not seen in cartridge books before, such as a lot of the newer Russian cartridges like the 5.66x39 Russian MPS Under Water round, etc. Many of the latest cartridges, up to 2007 releases, are included. The cartridges are divided into groups, much like in Cartridges of the World (Modern CF Sporting, Obsolete Sporting, Modern Military, Obsolete Military, etc. Unlike COTW, each cartridge is FULLY dimensioned right on the image instead of in a table at the end of each group. I like that. A couple of things I do not like are that the drawings (NO pictures) are a mix of actual sized drawings, reduced size and over sized, with no apparent reason for it. It is not a case of bigger cartridges are drawn under sized, etc. For instance the .45 Winchester Magnum is about twice actual size. The second thing I dislike is that the drawings are of two types: Line Drawings and Shaded drawings to simulate a black & white picture. I would have preferred that ALL the drawings had been the shaded type. Not only do they look nicer but many of the line drawings are done using such fine lines that they are hard to see. At least they should have been done with a wider line.

I think the book is well worth the $29.95, but I would NOT have said so at $50.00+.

Tony–The author defines “Small Arms” as going up to 15mm, and that is the largest caliber covered.

up to 700 Nitro & 15.2mm

it is bigger, and covers more in detail on some items , but both are good books for a fast reference, if you want more detail you will need a lot of other books, Chris Punnet’s 30-06 book, Logans, Barbers Rim-fire, and a lot of others. But for a fast reference it works.

Ray-The entire book is in an database at the publishers. The author states in the introduction:

“The database of this book will continue to be updated as new cartridges are released, and these new editions will be available both online and in upcoming editions of this book. To aid in this effort, the authors and co-editors welcome corrections, additional materials, and suggestions for improvements. These may be sent to the publishers address, to the authors’ attention.”

This is also available online, updated version:

store.bluebookinc.com/Ecom/Prod … y=1&id=299

[quote=“Hammer”]This is also available online, updated version:

store.bluebookinc.com/Ecom/Prod … y=1&id=299[/quote]

The whole book is not on line, just an advertisement like my ad on line:
we ship world wide.
Dave Call
A Call to Arms, LLC, www.ammo-one.com

[quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”]This is also available online, updated version:

The whole book is not on line, just an advertisement like my ad on line:
we ship world wide.
Dave Call
A Call to Arms, LLC, www.ammo-one.com[/quote]

Yes, it’s whole book, every caliber that is in paper version + updates.
I have this online acces.

Hammer–I purchased the book from Dave and it was stated in the book that online updates would be available. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the book and updates that are available on line just a 1 year subscription access and NOT a download? That is what I understood it to be when I looked at it. In that case you would need to buy a new subscription each year to continue to be able to see the book.

[quote=“Hammer”][quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”]This is also available online, updated version:

I have this online acces.[/quote][/quote]

I stand corrected, you are corrected
missed that, my bad, $24.95 for one year on line, I think the Book for $29.95 for a life time is a better deal ? Thank you,
Best,
Dave

Of course you could print that like other web sites, and some pages (general, ballistic, technical) are pdf files.

[quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”][quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”]This is also available online, updated version:

I have this online acces.[/quote]

I stand corrected, you are corrected
missed that, my bad, $24.95 for one year on line, [color=blue]I think the Book for $29.95 for a life time is a better deal [/color]? Thank you,
Best,
Dave[/quote][/quote]
Yes, I agree that, of course.

[quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”][quote=“A Call to Arms”][quote=“Hammer”]This is also available online, updated version:

I have this online acces.[/quote]

I stand corrected, you are correct
missed that, my bad, $24.95 for one year on line, I think the Book for $29.95 for a life time is a better deal ? Thank you,
Best,
Dave[/quote][/quote]